Not sure what is wrong with my upgraded tivo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what is wrong with my upgraded tivo

I upgraded my standalone tivo quite a while ago and until yesterday it worked perfectly. Yesterday, however, while moving, it started making excessive noise and later when it was all connected back up it made the excessive noise and overheated (at least I think it overheated because it stopped working and seemed very warm). I opened the case and tried to power up. The fan ran for a while before making what seemed like excessive noise. Then the fan began to run intermittently which made me think the problem was the powertrip and not the fan. I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions on what the problem is and what to do about it.

What model TiVo is it? Have you tried connecting the fan to the other leg of the power splitter?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The tivo was a series 2 that originally had 80 hours of storage. I upgraded it with a kit to 300 hours. So far I have tried unhooking everything related to the kit and re-connecting the power source to the original hard drive. The tivo hangs at the powering up screen. My thought was that, without the bits and pieces associated with the kit, it would go back to functioning like it did when it was fresh out of the box. I even disconnected the data cable so that the only drive connected to anything was the original.

Comment

Unfortunately, when you add a drive to a TiVo, the drives are "married" and can't then be used separately. So pulling out the drive should create a Green Screen at best.

Comment

Does the fact that, with everything connected up, I get to the powering up screen suggest that there is hope that the tivo can be repaired? In your opinion, do you think it would be worth trying to replace the power trip and fan or would you consider it a waste of money? If that idea is a waste of money, could you suggest alternative ways to get some of the programming off of those hard drives?

Comment

You'd get the "powering up" screen even with no drives attached at all, so the TiVo essentially sees these as dead and can't even begin to boot from them. We'd say it's a waste of money to try to recover data here.

The unit can likely operate perfectly again with a replace kit for your model from here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php

Comment

I tested both hard drives using the appropriate diagnostic tools. Both drives checked out error free. In your opinion, what do you think the chances are that replacing the power trip and twin breeze fan will solve my problem? Or do you think that it is probably the motherboard itself that is the source of the problem? Is there a way to test the motherboard?

Comment

You could still have a data issue on the drives, even if the hardware tests OK.

Next, we sometimes see hardware test OK, we reformat the drive, and it still won't work. So the hardware test "good" answers seem to be wrong sometimes.

You really should try a new drive first, since that's still the most likely culprit.

Comment

Working...
                X