Rebuild help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild help needed

I have a TiVo series 2 TCD540140 that had the hard drive go bad. I bought a new Seagate 500 Gig drive and used dd_rhelp to recover the data from the old drive (there were a couple of bad sectors). The recovery went well, and I was able to expand the new drive using mfs tools. It initially powered up, displayed the installing a service update message, connected to Tivo (it had not had a successful connection in over 30 days due to the HD issue.) and completed a download. It worked for a period of time but when reviewing my seasons passes it still displayed the "Have not connected in 30 days" message. So I restarted it and it continuously reboots. Anyway, I know the new HD is good. What I need to know now is this. I have another TiVo. A series 2 TCD540080. What I would like to do is the following - upgrade the TCD540140 and the TCD540080 using a backup of the HD from the TCD540080 unit. Can I do that. Can I make a working HD from the TCD540080 model and have it work in the TCD540140. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

The drives in the TCD540080 and TCD540140 are interchangeable.

Comment

One last Question - if you would be so kind...

Thanks Jeff, the help was much appreciated.

I do have one last question if you don't mind - probably a stupid one but I'll ask anyway. I can just do the backup/restore from the one original TiVo drive and onto 2 seperate new drives (at different times of course) with no issues. I assume that I could even have the content (recordings) on both new drives now.

Okay maybe it was really 2 last questions - Since I already restored a bad TiVo harddrive to one of the new drives, is there anything special I need to do to that harddrive (like a low level format) in preparartion before I do a backup/restore to it from the other TiVo original Harddrive? Or will the backup/restore operation just overright what was once there. Again, thanks in advance for the help.

Comment

You cannot move recordings from one TiVo to another--they won't play.

Also, backup/restore overwrites what is on the drive before the restore.

Comment

Okay - maybe another question...

Okay - everytime I think I'm done - I realize I am not. So to use the same harddrive as a base for 2 machines I would want to do the following (I'm speculating so I hope you can confirm):

I would do a backup/restore of the full contents (recordings and all) from the orginal Tivo drive from the TCD540080 box to a new 500 gig drive and the new 500 gigi drive would work, recordings and all, if placed into the TCD540080 box from which the original TiVo HD was removed. I would use the following command:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

I assume there is nothing I need to do prior. The backup/restore process will take place between the two drives and complete the copy to the new drive as a single function - no intermediate steps. This will also increase the Swap size. By the way will the new Swap size be big enough for a 500 gig drive? Additionally, it will also expand the new drive to it's full capacity so I would not need to run the mfsadd command.

The above command assumes that the source drive (original TiVo drive from TCD540080 box) is the Primary Master and the target drive (the new 500 Gig Drive) is the Primary Slave.

Next...On to the second Tivo Unit.

I could then take that same original HD from the TCD540080 box, do a backup/restore (not including the recordings of course) to another 500 gig drive and then place that 500 gig drive into a different machine (a TCD540140 to be exact) and it should work - I just can't move the recordings over (which is okay as I don't need them anyway).

The backup/restore process will take place between the two drives and complete the copy to the new drive as a single function - no intermediate steps. This will also increase the Swap size. By the way will the new Swap size be big enough for a 500 gig drive? Additionally, it will also expand the new drive to it's full capacity so I would not need to run the mfsadd command. This will copy all of the animations etc that Tivo needs, but not my recordings.

The command to do that would be:

mfsbackup -f9999 -o - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

Once again, the above command assumes that the source drive (original TiVo drive from TCD540080 box) is the Primary Master and the target drive (the new 500 Gig Drive) is the Primary Slave.

Thanks again for your help. I truly appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
          X