X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Open Cable Product" vs. UDCP, & &ableCARD

My cable provider is TW NC. Their website says, regarding CableCARDS:

"There are two types of equipment that utilize CableCARDs today:

* Unidirectional Digital Cable Products (UDCP) are one-way only devices. That is, they are only capable of receiving our linear broadcast programming such as analog cable, Digital Cable, certain HDTV and premium cable channels like HBO, Cinemax and more. There is, however, no access to any two-way services such as OnDemand programming, the Interactive Programming Guide, Seasonal Sports Packages, Pay-Per-View or Interactive enhanced TV services, such as Games as well as future technologies that may be introduced. All equipment currently available at retail with a CableCARD option falls into this category.

* Open Cable Products are two-way capable just like Time Warner Cable’s leased set top boxes and allow access to ALL of Time Warner Cable’s one-way and two-way services. We expect Open Cable Products to be available at retail in the 4Q ’07 / 1Q ’08. "

------------

Here's the whole page:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/nc/pr...CableCard.html

Is Tivo HD a UDCP product? So I can assume if I purchase one it will never be able to work with 2-way services? Meaning I would have to keep a cable box hooked up to use them?

Anybody know if Tivo plans to add two-way capability at any point in the future?

Thanks much!

Yes, so far TiVo is a UDCP product. TiVo will likely upgrade their technology, but we don't know of a definite time frame.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

It seems to me that the only things you would really miss out on right now with using the UDCP product is pay-per-view shows and sports packages. Everything else you can get with Tivo or Amazon Unbox...

I'm in NC also and use TW. I got Tivo because when Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta(this is who TW gets their boxes from), the user interface was actually worse than the Scientific Atlanta box that they were previously using for regular digital cable customers. TW and Cisco made me very unhappy. Who would make a dvr with worse technology than the dvr they made before? Ugh.

Comment

I hear you...

Yeah - we just bought an HD TV so we had to say goodbye to our Tivo Series 2. We opted for TW DVR and it was a very un-fulfilling experience. Interface was awful (in look and feel) and we were constantly getting the last 30 seconds of shows cut off. We finally said the heck with it and ordered the HD Tivo.
        I hope Tivo does support VOD at some point. I get HBO and use the HBO OnDemand feature quite often.

Comment

Working...
        X