replaced power supply and now nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replaced power supply and now nothing

I purchased a new power supply for my 140- model tivo and just finished installing it. Although I can hear something running when I plug it in, I get nothing on my tv, and the lights don't come on the front of the tivo. Did I do something wrong, or was the problem not my power to begin with?

Did you get lights on the old power supply, before installing the new one? If so, then it sounds like the new one might not be installed correctly. It is also possible that your problem is not with the power supply...but I would recommend that you triple-check your installation.

Comment

I did have lights with the old power supply, but was stuck on the "almost there" screen. I tried replacing the hard drive (twice) thinking it was that, but then everyone was telling me that this model has been having power problems, so I figured that might be the problem. When I installed the power today, I tried it with the original hard drive, could that be the problem? I'll switch it with a new hard drive and see if that works. Also, when I was installing the new power, it was hard to get the piece back onto all of the spokes. I got it just about all the way there, but does it have to be exact for it to work? Also, the white ribbon that runs from under the hard drive to the power - is there a way to know that it is in correctly? I think that may be the problem on looking at it, but I'll have to take it all apart again to make the changes and see if it works. If there is anything else I should look for, please let me know!

Thanks!

Comment

Yes - all of those connections need to be exactly right. A bent IDE pin or a loose white ribbon cable could easily cause these problems.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Ok, now I have double checked everything, the pins are all correct and the ribbon is in as far as it can go. I also replaced the old hard drive with a new one, and I still get nothing. No lights and nothing but static when I plug it in.

Is there anything else I can check? Or would I be better off returning the parts I bought and sending the box into Tivo for replacement?

Comment

Working...
          X