Change to Digital TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change to Digital TV

I use a series 2 SD Tivo on my analog cable without a cable box. When the cable goes digital in Feb 09, will the Series 2 SD still work? i.e. does it have a digital tuner?

The changes in 2009 are for off-air antenna broadcasts, not cable.

Comment

In detail how does this effect HR10-250 units?

Will they need some additional device or do they already handle the digital signal?

Comment

They already handle the digital OTA HD and SD signals, and quite well! They will be unaffected by the transition.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Different answer from weeknees help

I'm interested in purchasing a Humax DRT400 to hook up to a tv that receives both analog and digital signals. I do not have cable, satellite, or other subscription tv, I receive the "free" analog and digital signals only (NBC, ABC, etc.).

I e-mailed weeknees and asked if the DRT400 would work with antenna only; if it would record analog only, digital only, or both; and if it would continue to work if I later subscribe to cable. I was told it would work with antenna or cable either one, but that it would only record analog stations.

I wrote back and asked if it only recorded analog stations, would it no longer work will all stations went digital only. I got the following reply:

"You would have to get a converter box, and we presume there will be a TiVo software update to enable the TiVo to work with certain converter boxes."

Does this mean that even though my tv receives digital signals that I would still have the buy the converter box for the tivo to work?

Comment

Originally posted by rjs View Post
            Does this mean that even though my tv receives digital signals that I would still have the buy the converter box for the tivo to work?
            Yes, you'd still need a converter box.

Comment

Need help for the nuance impaired on digital v. analog

I found WEAKNEES today because I want to get rid of Cox Cable's DVR and pull my old Toshiba Tivo Series 2 out of the closet and get it upgraded to a bigger hard drive. Looks like a good deal.
              But I need to be certain what I'm going to need. I will continue to have Cox Cable's digital cable box.
              What else will I need for the Tivo? An antenna on the roof (whoa!)?
              A converter box for changing digital to analog?
              Both? Neither.
              BTW, this Series 2 has the digits 264 at the beginning of its Tivo Service #, which I saw elsewhere means I indeed face the digital switchover problem.

Besides coming here to get a new hard drive, if I don't have to do too much more to use the older Tivo, I also would appreciate leads on where to get a replacement remote control for the Tivo. The old one is around somewhere, but might take more digging than it's worth.

Comment

Really, all you should need is your TiVo connected to the digital cable box. It'll convert the channels to analog, and the TiVo will tell it when to change channels.

With a digital cable box, you don't need to worry about the switchover at all. That only affects people who DON'T have cable. Those who use an antenna for analog signals are the only ones affected.

Sorry to say, we don't have replacement remotes for your Toshiba SD-H400. They're pretty hard to find, so if you can locate yours, that's the best plan. Another option would be to get a universal.
                Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                X