Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new weakness fan for Series 2 really noisy

Hi,

I just replaced my stock Series 2 (24004A) fan with a Weaknees replacement fan. The box was 5 years old, and I was upgrading the hard drive, so thought I'd replace the fan proactively while I had it open (since I assume fans don't last forever, and I don't want to risk damaging the new drive). Well, what I've found is that the brand new fan is extremely noisy, much noisier than the 5-year (continuously used) factory fan. So I'm beginning to wonder if this was a mistake?

The sound it makes is a high-pitched whine, easily heard 10-15 feet away. I have confirmed it's not the drive, because I can hear the drive clicking sounds when I get up close to the box and put my ear to it (brand new Seagate DB35 500GB), but the drive noises are extremely quiet at even a few feet away. (And while doing the upgrade, the drive sounded nice and quiet while hooked up to the PC.) There is only the single drive in the Series 2 box, so this isn't a situation that needs a 2nd fan.

When the Series 2 is booting up, the fan sounds like a jet engine firing up. Once booted, you can hear the fan speed slow down a little, and the noise drops somewhat, but it still has a quite noticeable whine.

So I wanted to ask: is there a better quality fan out there, or should I ask Weakness to swap this one for another new one? Or should I return it and put my original back in, which can be heard faintly (but much better than the new one) but doesn't have the annoying high-pitch?

I also wanted to clarify that I have very good ventilation where the Series2 is located, and the problem was immediate, even when it was done from a cold boot. So I'm confident the issue is not due to ventilation like I've seen in some other posts.

Comment

It really should be the same level of noise that the unit emitted when it was new. Is it possible that the fan isn't seated properly, or that the screws are over-tight or loose and therefore skewing the fan casing? If it's a bad fan, we can swap it out, but really these are generally just above silent.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yeah, it's definitely noisier than when it was new, and even noisier than it was on Friday (prior to the upgrade, even with a 5-year old fan). I'm confident it's seated well. I'll double-check the tightness of the screws, although I don't think I overtightened them. I suppose overtightening could result in the high-pitched whine, so I'll check.

If that doesn't work, I'll contact your customer support.

So I take it there aren't any better fans available, even if they cost a bit more?

Comment

You have to be careful when buying fans...you might find quieter, but that could mean they don't move enough air to cool the unit. The factory case fan replacements we sell conform to factory specifications regarding CFM and they are typically 'low noise' versions.

Comment

I thought I'd post a follow-up and say thanks to Weaknees! Weaknees suggested I send the new (noisy) fan back to them for a replacement. I just installed the replacement last night, and it's just about as quiet as the factory replacement. I still think there might be the tiniest whine that doesn't exist in the factory one, but you can only hear it within a couple feet (which basically means never when sitting on the couch!). So the first fan was definitely a dud, as you could hear the whine easily 10-15 feet away.

So thanks Weaknees for replacing it, the new one is great!

Comment

Glad to hear it!
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
              X