Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TiVo stuck in endless reboot after power outage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo stuck in endless reboot after power outage.

I had a power outage, afterward my Tivo worked for about a day (mostly normally).

Then it started re-booting repeatedly after the "Almost there…a few more seconds please.", and only made it once or twice to the Tivo Menu before locking up after a few seconds.

I have an Upgraded Hard Drive from WeakNees (which I love), but when I replaced it with the original hard drive, it still reboots after the second startup screen.

So it doesn't sound like the Hard Drive. What else could it be since it's getting power and makes it 90% of the way through over and over again ?

I have a Series 2 Tivo, with probably the latest updates, and starts with the numbers: 140-0000

Anything else I can try or do ?

Thanks.
    -Dan

If your factory drive and the upgrade drive do the same thing, then unfortunately the power outage caused some other problem....likely a motherboard or power supply. It's pretty hard to know for sure. The symptoms don't really sound power-supply related, although it's odd that you are able to get to TiVo Central some times but not others.

You can certainly try a power supply; we do accept returns within 30 days, subject to a 15% restocking fee (min $15).

If you don't have lifetime service, though, you should definitely just replace the unit.

Comment

After letting it sit unplugged for 8 hours or so, now it gets past the "Almost there…a few more seconds please", but then never gets to Tivo Central.

(So it doesn't reboot itself anymore).

It just goes to a black screen and all the lights on the front go out, but it still sounds like something is running.

Does this symptom give you a better guess, or is it still just as likely either a motherboard issue or power supply issue.

FYI, I did purchase the lifetime service (about 5 years ago).

Comment

I would say it's slightly more likely to be a power supply based on that info, but still by no means guaranteed. I'd try the power supply.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I called Tivo to see what they thought the problem might be. After running their diagnostic tests, the system kept getting locked up before actually showing any detail.

For $149 they said they'd send me a refurbished Series 2 Tivo (and I'd have to send them the broken one), and I'd get to transfer my lifetime service to the new machine - I hope they honor that and it wasn't just a salesperson trying to get me to buy something.

I'll send my old Hard Drive back to Tivo, and hopefully my Weakness Hard Drive that I upgraded to will work with the refurbished model.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

dan6068,

If your Tivo has a seal on the back and you've broken it to add a different drive than the one that came with it they may not honor the warranty replacement. At least that's what I was told by Philips, the maker of my Tivo. That's why I'm sticking with the original drive until the machine dies. I have lifetime service with mine. Something to consider before you send the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by dan6080 View Post
              I called Tivo to see what they thought the problem might be. After running their diagnostic tests, the system kept getting locked up before actually showing any detail.

For $149 they said they'd send me a refurbished Series 2 Tivo (and I'd have to send them the broken one), and I'd get to transfer my lifetime service to the new machine - I hope they honor that and it wasn't just a salesperson trying to get me to buy something.

I'll send my old Hard Drive back to Tivo, and hopefully my Weakness Hard Drive that I upgraded to will work with the refurbished model.

Thanks for your suggestions.
              That's pretty standard for them - I don't think they're pulling a fast one, and that does seem like the best answer.

Comment

Originally posted by ricklevine View Post
                dan6068,

If your Tivo has a seal on the back and you've broken it to add a different drive than the one that came with it they may not honor the warranty replacement. At least that's what I was told by Philips, the maker of my Tivo. That's why I'm sticking with the original drive until the machine dies. I have lifetime service with mine. Something to consider before you send the unit.
                If the unit is out of warranty anyway (that's why they're charging a fee) it shouldn't be a problem, and we've never heard of it being a problem.

Comment

Working...
                X