Philips Series 2 7000/17 upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philips Series 2 7000/17 upgrade.

I have attempted to upgrade my Philips Series 2 7000/17 DVR twice.

The first time, I installed a 120GB 7200 RPM drive replacement. Almost from the start, the system would freeze at random time intervals.

The freezing became frustrating, so I replaced the "new" hard drive with a 160GB 5400 RPM drive since the speed matched the 40GB drive originally in the unit. The system worked well for several months, then began having system hangs and freeze ups, along with associated noise (impending HDD failure).

I reverted to the old 40GB hard drive and have had no problems since.

Question: Does drive speed matter as far as the power supply is concerned? Could my first problem been related to speed of the drive?

I want to increase my recording capacity, and am considering buying a second drive kit...can the power supply in this model DVR handle the increased load on its stock power supply?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Bucky

I am now considering

It's really not the drive speed.

Are the new drives DVR drives? Are they really new, or are they drives that had been used in a computer or elsewhere?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      It's really not the drive speed.

Are the new drives DVR drives? Are they really new, or are they drives that had been used in a computer or elsewhere?
      The drives I used were not specifically DVR drives.

The 7200 RPM drive was new, but never really performed well without sporadic hangs and/or freeze ups. After I pulled the drive, I scanned it, reformatted it, and it is working fine in a desktop PC (secondary drive).

The 5400 RPM drive did seem to perform just fine until it began to fail. I seem to remember this drive being new in box, but may have been a factory re-furbished drive, given that it failed relatively quickly. Spin-rite 6.0 even says the drive is "jacked-up"...it ran for several days and didn't make it past 30% of the surface with many bad areas of the drive.

I bought both drives via on-line sources (computer HDD vendors).

Would a faulty power supply have issues regardless of drive? In other words, our unit has worked flawlessly for almost the past year on the original drive, so I figure that the power supply is probably just fine.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Very respectfully,
      Bucky
      Last edited by bucky; 06-30-2008, 08:45 PM.

Comment

It sounds like you have some bad drives. You might want to consider a reputable, new, DVR drive, programmed with a known-working version of the TiVo software.

Comment

For my unit, the Philips Series 2 model 7000/17, if I went with an add on hard drive kit (plus cooling fan upgrade) could I keep the shows we currently have and just add capacity?

Are there any known problems/issues with this particular unit and dual drives?

Comment

That unit is fine with dual drives, but if you're having problems with one drive, adding another to it isn't really a good idea.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X