Effect of Full System Reset on my old Tivo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effect of Full System Reset on my old Tivo

I have one of the original Philips 40 hour TIVO's, I believe it's an R10 model but unsure. It's been getting slower and slower, particularly in the Now Playing menu, and today it finally got stuck going to Now Playing, while "Please Wait" then becomes fixed on the screen.

So, I did the unplug/plug hard boot routine a couple times with no fix. Afterward, it will allow me to move around the channels and some menus, but still gets stuck when going to the Now Playing menu.

So, I went to the reboot/reset menu and thought about reseting, but that scared me, so I tried the most benign option: Reset Thumb Ratings. After pressing my Thumbs Down three times and Enter to confirm, it's now showing "Please Wait" over the confirmation screen. I won't know for an hour if it is really working or if it is stuck again, but I assume it is stuck or I'd see some sort of progress screen instead. Any idea?

So, short of getting a new Tivo, I'm thinking about doing the Reset Program Data option next (if I can get to it to work) and then the Full System Reset option if I have to (if I can get that to work too).

But I have a question about the Full System Reset. What will be the state of my system once it completes? I don't care about losing all my programs, preferences, etc. What worries me is having to re-setup the system with any codes and calling DTV, and the like (frankly, it's been so long I don't remember what I'd have to do). I just worry any time I have to call DTV to ask them anything because I know all they want to do is relieve me of TIVO.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well, I got through the "Reset Thumb Ratings" after about one hour. I still have a problem but have narrowed it down. This time, before trying to go to Now Playing again, I first attempted to record a show. It recorded fine (and quickly this time). Then, when I went to "Now Playing" it showed this newly recording show at the top of the list, and then stopped displaying any other programs under it. This leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the second program's listing (which was the first one at the top before I recorded the new show). So, I'd like to delete the entire "Now Playing" list, which should fix the problem.

However, I think the only way to do this is to do a Full System Reset. But I still need to know what I'll need to do once I've done that in the set up procedure again. Will I need to call DTV? Should I first write down any sat settings that will be hard work to figure out again? Anything?

Thanks.

Comment

You could try a "clear and delete everything," but these sound like hard drive problems that can only be fixed with a new drive. Find your model here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php

By the way, if it's a Philips, it's not an R10.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
      X