Sony SVR2000 stuck on "Welcome. Powering up"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony SVR2000 stuck on "Welcome. Powering up"

My Sony SVR2000 is stuck on "Welcome. Powering up..." Had a short power outage and the green LED on the front went on, and I can't shut it off, and that message is all that is on a black screen on the TV. It has lifetime service which I don't want to lose.

I have a whole house surge protector on my circuit breaker panel, and the Tivo is plugged into a surge protector power strip also.

I searched the forums, but didn't read anything about the green LED staying on, so I ran the following tests.

I unplugged both hard drives and checked the plugs with my VOM. Black/yellow wires have 12v, the black/red have 5v at each plug so I think my power supply is good???

Two drives in it. One is a Quantum AT Fireball, 30gb, and I think the jumper is in the parking position. Other one is a WD Caviar 100gb jumpered as a slave. The Quantum looks older and it sounds like it is running OK. I don't think the WD is running because even with the other drive and the fan unplugged I still can't hear the WD spinning.

So does it sound like this drive is dead and would cause the Tivo to stick on the Welcome screen and the green LED to stay on even when I try to shut it off with the remote control?

If the WD is dead, can I just put a new one in, or does it need to be formatted a certain way first?

If the Quantum seems like the original drive, should I replace it too, just as preventitive maintance, and upsize it at the same time?

Thanks for any help...

Did anyone ever get back with you on this? I have the same problem on my Phillips Tivo...it's a 2 drive...and the slave is dead.

Comment

If you are stuck on powering up, you may very well have a bad drive. The power supply readings aren't too helpful--they show that you're getting the right power to the drive, but not necessarily to the motherboard.

Given your symptoms (stuck on powering up), I'd recommend a new drive. You will want to replace both drives in your unit, and you cannot use a blank drive...it needs to be programmed properly.

Comment

Thanks Jeff. Can I replace both with one large drive? Will one of your preprogrammed drives eliminate the 137gb limit I have read about for series 1 units? How big can I go? If not, is that limit for each drive, so that if I use two drives over 137gb that the total recognized size would be 274gb? Which of your preprogrammed drives do you recommend?

Comment

Yes, you can replace 2 with 1. We do not offer drives that break the 137gb limit for reliability and stability reasons. Two 160gb drives yields 137x2.

The drive choice really depends on how much you want to spend and how much capacity you need/want.

Comment

Working...
          X