Tivo Series 2 Audio Only Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Series 2 Audio Only Problem

I have a TiVo Series 2 80-hour 540080 and have been having audio problems with it for quite some time. I have ruled out any external devices causing the problem (stereo, cable audio, etc.) - here are the symptoms. Video will playback fine (somtimes skips/pixelates when begining a program or changing a channel) but audio will start to "crackle" and become intermittent. Even if I stop whatever I'm watching and get back to the TiVo menu, you can hear the crackling. This will happen regardless of whether the TiVo itself is recording a show. A reboot sometimes gets rid of the problem, sometimes not and I'll just have to turn the TV off and come back the next day and it will have fixed itself (maybe). Another reboot will usually do the trick.

Also of note, the crackling is never actually RECORDED by the TiVo - if I transfer the program to TiVo desktop or watch the program later, after the TiVo is working again, the audio is normal.

Hearing the crackling in the TiVo menus combine with it never actually being recorded to the TiVo make me unsure as to whether or not this is hard drive related or something else that is going bad inside the box.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

-Brian
    Last edited by bristef; 07-16-2008, 07:09 PM. Reason: Additional Information...

Have you removed/replaced all surge protectors and power devices (UPS's)? It is possible that you have a defective surge protector.

Comment

I do have an APC UPC unit attached to my components...do you think this might be the problem? How would that cause a problem with the TiVo? It seems to be working fine and kicks on to battery when there is a power outage. It is not a junky one either...

Interestingly enough, I noticed that a program we recorded last night actually DID have the crackling/popping noise recorded into it (we were watching it semi-live and the TiVo acted up with the crackling/popping so we waited till the end of the show and were going to reboot, but the problem had ceased so we watched the recorded show and noticed the crackling/popping toward the end of the recording (gradually go worse as we watched it). Going to the TiVo menu, the audio was fine, so it had actually recorded the cracking to the file.)

Either way, is it indicative of a hard drive problem do you think, or more likely some other component?

Thanks.

Comment

I would guess it's a power supply or a motherboard issue - it really doesn't sound like a hard drive problem to me.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Were you able to correct this problem? I'm having the same trouble.

Comment

Working...
          X