Hughes HDVR2 Freezing - Replace Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes HDVR2 Freezing - Replace Hard Drive

My first impression of this forum is that the administrators are on top of it. The FAQs are great and saved me a lot of searching.

Anyway, my Hughes HDVR2 has been freezing and, otherwise, hanging up on an intermittent basis for about 2 months. I would have to unplug the unit and plug it back in for reboot. After this, it would run slowly again for a while, but would eventually pick back up.

3 weeks ago, it finally died. When I unplug and reboot, it gets caught up on the Welcome screen. According to the FAQs, I have a bad hard drive. I was hoping it was the power supply.... oh well.

I have the original 40 GB hard drive. If I replace it with, say, and 80 GB hard drive, do I lose all of my programming (general satellite settings, channels, season passes, etc.)? Obviously, I will lose our recorded programs.

I would love to just buy the hard drive, pop it in, and be 100% back to normal, minus my recorded programs. Is this possible?

Thanks!

You buy the hard drive, pop it in, and will be without your programming, season passes and settings, unfortunately. It will be as though you just bought the unit, except you won't have to call DIRECTV to activate it.

Comment

Thank you for the fast response!

Is there any way to copy the data that is housed on the existing drive onto the new drive?

Comment

If the drive were working, yes. But with it in the current condition, you'd need some heavy-duty (and expensive) recovery tools to get the data from there onto the new drive.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X