Is this in my wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this in my wiring?

My Tivo has been working great for three years then suddenly the other night it rebooted in the middle of a program. It has done this twice in the last week. Now it is pixelating randomly. I have checked the Hard drive by rewinding and the pixelation is always in the same spot. I swapped sat inputs on the back and the pixelation changes with the swap. (From tuner 1 to tuner 2) Bad wiring?

Sure sounds like it - or a bad dish or multiswitch port.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Okay here's a new development and some additional info:

Model: DirecTv Tivo Philips DSR704

After posting last night I went through the guided setup again and set it for a single tuner. After doing that the pixelation would occur with either cable from the satelite hooked up. I do not have a multiswitch as this is my only reciever. I tried rebooting the unit but the problem remains. Tested the signal strength and most transponders are over 75-80. Any ideas?

Comment

So then it sounds like a bad SAT 1 input, and the earlier test just wasn't clearly showing which SAT signal was which.

You might go back to two, and track (carefully) what happens on each input.

Comment

I've tried both cables from the dish (one at a time) on both SAT inputs (1 & 2) and the pixelation and freezing happens no matter what. Bad HDD? Both tuners bad? I'm lost.

Comment

If you rewind, and it's identical, then it's likely tuners (both can go at once). If you rewind and it changes a bit, then it's likely the drive.

Comment

Thanks for all your help so far Michael. So if the pixelation/audio problems are always in the same spot it's the tuners correct? Can I purchase one of the Directv Tivo units without a hard drive from Weakness and just transfer my drives over?

Comment

That's right.

Bare units are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-tivo.php

Also, see this:

http://www.tivopedia.com/error-51-hardware-error.php

Comment

Ok, this just gets stranger. Now that a few days have gone by I've noticed that the receiver works fine between 9 am and 11 pm. The pixelation/blacking out/freezing/no audio issues only seem to occur after 11 pm. I've tested all the signal strength and am getting 99 percent on transponder 26 which is supposed to be dead. Also I keep getting messages from directv that my dvr service is not active...my mailbox has several screens of them. I called dtv and they resent the signal, but...

I've got a new receiver on the way (Thank you Weaknees!) but now I'm not sure this will fix the problem...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

That all really does sound like it's in the unit; I'm pretty sure a new unit will fix it.

Comment

Working...
                    X