Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCD652160 woes

These questions have been cross-posted to the Tivo Community forum as well:

My second HD box has been rebooting every 10 minutes. It sometimes goes through to 'Powering up' screen and so on, but more often just hangs in limbo with the front panel green LEDs blinking, which then require a hard reboot by disconnecting the power cord.

I've tried a replacement drive (out of the box WD5000AACS, not the best drive for this application, but should have at least worked for a day or at the very least a 1/2 hour without rebooting) but that didn't fix it, so I've been holding out for the 9.4 upgrade in hopes that it may be software related.

Even though the 9.4 upgrade on my other box cleared up some minor freezing type bugs, this is an entirely different animal. The box is pretty useless. Maybe the power supply? Has anyone any experience with Tivo HD power supply failures?

Thanks,

Jim

If you've got a bad drive, and you copied that OS to this other drive, you've likely moved over corrupt data. Have you tried a fresh OS from the other box? If so, you may need this:

http://www.tivopedia.com/error-51-hardware-error.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks Michael!

No I haven't tried the OS from the other box yet, but I'll give that a try this evening.

I actually just edited my post on Tivo Community, because I was thinking the same thing (the corrupt image). Makes sense.

If it works, it will also carry over the 9.4 update that the other box has already received

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

If I choose to not break open my other box, where can I download a fresh image of the OS?

Comment

We don't think you can, but we can format it with a fresh OS:

http://www.weaknees.com/misc.php

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
            We don't think you can, but we can format it with a fresh OS:

http://www.weaknees.com/misc.php
            Well I don't thinks it's the drive/s anymore.

Checked the original and a new replacement with WD Diagnostics, and they both pass the tests.
            The replacement drive had a fresh image of 9.2 on it, but the system displayed the same issues: lockups with no response from remote, and random reboots rendering this box useless.

I would like it to be the power supply, but at this point I'm leaning towards something else on the main board.
            I've noticed that after the sudden reboots if the box doesn't just hang in limbo with the green LED blinking and no video output, it goes into the boot sequence 'Powering up' screen to 'Installing a service update' screen and on to the Tivo menu screen.
            It never seems to actually install any updates though.
            What if anything is written to the board? Also what is your experience with PS
            failures on these HD boxes?

Comment

Honestly, that really still sounds like a hard drive problem. Frankly, manufacturers' consumer-level diagnostics often proclaim drives to be fine when they still cause problems in TiVos. In those cases, fresh drives really do fix the problems.

That sequence of rebooting is exactly what we see with bad drives, FYI.

Comment

So it's possible that the new WD5000AACS is bad as well?
                Should I try a different manufacture?
                What make and model drive do you advise?

Thanks,
                Jim

Comment

That drive is fine, but we try to only use the AV versions.

We'd really recommend a fully formatted drive from there:

http://www.weaknees.com/s316.php

Comment

Working...
                  X