Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you build a better dvr with tivo software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you build a better dvr with tivo software?

I have 2 series 2 tivos. My new one has the transferred lifetime service. My old one is a month to month. The old one rarely is used now. My thought is to try and build a better dvr but maintain the tivo service and software.

Has anyone tried this? Are there proprietary parts that wont allow it? Have I just not found this topic in the forums? If so, can someone point me?

thanx

What were you thinking of adding?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I was thinking of building a media center type pc with new parts... graphics processor, sound, etc. I'm thinking about transferring my old tivo software to a new bigger faster drive _or two. Maybe a cable card. Basically a new faster system but with the tivo interface and service. Possible?

Comment

TiVo doesn't sell software for use in home-grown boxes.

Comment

First of all, thanx for your input and interest Jeff. It makes sense Tivo wouldn't sell it's software. I guess what I was thinking about would be considered a hack by tivo, but it's mostly just a fun project for me. I have a bunch of last generation, but good parts. I wanted to know what Tivo has done to thwart this kind of project, be it a proprietary motherboard or some kind of hardware check the software would perform. If anyone has seen a discussion on this kind of project, could you give me a url or point me?
          Thanx

Comment

AFAIK, the TiVo software is dependent on the TiVo service number, which resides, encrypted, on a chip on the motherboard.

Comment

Wow...ouch. Well, so much for that idea. I guess even if you use the original motherboard, you can't upgrade the cpu. I had visions of adding HD but thats probably a no go too.

It seems any electronics are obsolete as soon as they are in stores. My wife really loves the tivo gui and service. Is there a tivo software clone out there?

Comment

Nope - the OS only runs on TiVos.
                Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                X