Swapping drives from different DTV TIVOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping drives from different DTV TIVOs

I lost my DTV Philips model DSR 7000 to lightening and purchased a Philips model 703 or 704 to replace it. I have it activated and it works great, but I had upgraded the older unit with a 250 GB drive and if possible I would like to swap the drives.

I appreciate any help you can offer, Bama. BTW, I am a member of a nice free pc help forum, if we can help anyone with pc issues feel free to visit us @ pctechbytes.com. This is not meant as spam, like this site we offer free help for people troubleshooting pc/mac problems. Other than me , there are some pretty good pc techs offering help to those in need.

So long as you have the latest version of the Tivo software (6.4) you should be fine moving the drive. After the move, choose clear and delete everything from the system reset menu.

Comment

I need to make a couple of retractions, apparently I wasnt paying attention when I posted my question, but the basics are really the same. I had a model DSR700 and replaced it with a DSR 7000.

According to my system info the software is 6.2a-01-2-101. I was able to connect by telephone yesterday for the first time in over 400 days. Mainly because the unit had been deactivated and unused until I got it off ebay, but also because this model wont connect via Vonage like my old one did. After using it and trying to dl the updates for 2-3 weeks I was afraid the modem was bad, and that worried me because it seems to be integrated instead of a pci type card, but I carried it to my brothers house and hooked it up to an AT&T line and it dl'd the updates fine. Do I need to keep updating it until it loads 6.4? My old one has been down for 6 weeks or so, I'm not sure what update it has.

I also ordered a new 320GB drive, before I found these forums, that has the software preinstalled. I was hoping to retrieve the programs on my old drive, but if I have to delete everything I guess putting the new drive in would be better. Should I still keep trying to update it before putting the new drive in?

Thanks for the response, and any more help you can offer, Bama.

Comment

If it's the exact same model (sounds like it is) you don't need to wait for 6.4a.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

They are both Philips, one is an older DSR 700, the new one is a DSR 7000.

Are you saying the drive from the 700 can be put in the 7000 without further upgrades? Will I have to wipe the drive? I suppose it doesnt really matter, I had given up on them anyway. I'd love to be able to use the old units drive and keep this new drive for installation when the other one fails.

Comment

I don't know of any DSR700. Are you sure they're not both DSR7000s?

You will have to wipe the drive still.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

My apologies, you're right, its not a 700 but a 708. I had to use a good light to see the #'s clearly, maybe I should check on glasses.

I appreciate the help, if you would, answer this for me. If you were in my situation, with a used drive that may still be good, and a new drive, which would you use? I have to install them both to verify they work of course, but should I get the remaining life from the old drive first? Or will it still be usable in the future, when the new drive fails?

And do I have to have a phone connection when installing either of them?

I really do appreciate the help, I'm sure my friends at the other site would be happy if you guys feel like dropping by sometime. Theres not much going on related to DVRs, but I suspect you were well versed with pc's first. For people who like helping others and have time on their hands its pretty much the same format, just different machines.

I'll let them know where to look for good people who will help them with their DVR needs. Have a good one, Bama.

Comment

I would use the new drive. Yes, you have to dial it in to use it the first time.

Good luck with the PC site; we'll check it out.

Comment

I thought you might say use the new drive, so I'll do that.

I was afraid you would say it needed a phone connection. I guess its back to my brothers house for the installation. Thats okay tho, he seemed to want to know more about how one was upgraded.

I've recommended these forums, as well as the other services here, to the folks at pctechbytes who need help with DVRs. I was wanting something special because it was my 500th post there, so, I think I did them a great service.

Once again I have to thank you. The prompt and friendly advice was worth much more than I paid for it. All the best, Bama.

Comment

Working...
                  X