Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is My TIVO Dead

Hi:
    I have a series 2 single tuner with a Weakness upgraded harddrive. Recently, the TIVO started to reboot every 10 minutes on its own. I then assumed the harddrive was bad and order a replacement drive from WK. After installing the new drive and successfully going through the setup, the TIVO again started to reboot on its own after about on 1 1/2 hours of use. I can hear the fan running so I do not think its a heat issue. The TIVO has a lifetime membership. Any suggestions? or is there somewhere it can be sent to be fixed?

Thanks.

That may be a bad power supply, or it may be bad power going to the unit itself. We have replacement power supplies here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

and more info about power issues is here:

http://www.weaknees.com/protect.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the information. My question would be way would the TIVO unit work for over an hour if the power supply is bad? Just wondering. Also, does WK perform repairs?

The unit is a AT&T Series 2 130040 with a WK 160gb hard drive.

Comment

Like other components, power supplies often fail slowly. They don't necessarily work 100% one day, then 0% the next. They work a bit, heat up, expand, cause problems, and reboot or shutdown.

That model TiVo (and it's sibling, the TCD140060) have the most problematic power supply of any model that TiVo ever made. We have re-worked units with larger capacitors that have lasted much longer. I'd recommend trying one of those.

Comment

Thanks . I'll take your advise and order one tonight.

Comment

Received and installed new power supply. Thought it was the issue. But, next morning awoke to a black screen on TV. Tried many restarts, change the battery on motherboard, no luck. Once in awhile get all the way through set up, to live TV. Then, TIVO either reboots or screen goes black.

AT&T Series 2 130040 - with WK 160gb upgrade.

Any ideas?

Comment

Wow - that's pretty strange. So it's basically the same with this new power supply as it was with the old one?

Comment

Yes, no change. The unit has lifetime service. But, the only part left is the motherboard. I do not think I could just swap in a new MB and continue my lifetime.

Comment

Right - lifetime is tied to the motherboard.

It may be time to see if TiVo can work with it. They'll often swap the unit out with a refurb and move your lifetime over, for a fee.

Comment

Contacted TIVO customer support. Their position is the AT&T Series 2 box is not there responsibility. Said to contact AT&T. Can you believe it. My wife spoke to two different supervisors and both basically said tough luck.. We thought when we purchase the AT&T TIVO 5 years ago, TIVO the company would stand behing their products. They don't. If the box was a TIVO brand DVR, they would trade for a DT Series 2 DVR for $149 and transfer lifetime.

Never buy another TIVO product.

Comment

We should be able to repair it for you. Just send us an email if you haven't already.

Comment

Spoke to Jeff a couple of days ago, when getting return request for power supply. Said WK maybe able to fix but will cost $199. Not sure I want to invest anymore money. Purchased the AT&T Tivo, the lifetime subscription, plus two hard drive over the years. Plus have to pay restocking fees on power supply and hard drive ordered in last three weeks.
                        Think I'm done with TIVO. Will get FIOS TV when it comes available in my neighborhood. Which should be soon.

Comment

I have a similar issue. My HUMAX seres 2, lifetime subscription busted. I bought a used Humax, identical model. what do I swtich from which Humax to preserve my lifetime subcription?

Comment

All you can really try switching is the power supply and hard drive. Any motherboard switch and you will lose your service.

Comment

Working...
                            X