Stuttering video on TCD652160

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuttering video on TCD652160

I bought my cable version TiVo HD TCD652160 last December 07. Along about March 08 it started with stuttering video (quick-freezes). I have been living with this because of all the channels I receive, it seems to only stutter on only 8 channels, none of them HD channels or local over-the-air channels. It's not the cable feed because I have one of the cable company's Motorola HD DVRs in another room and it it does not stutter on any channel. I have had this problem with previous TiVo Boxes but it was on all channels. And, I was able to repair the hard drive with SpinWrite. Just for kicks, I tried SpinWrite on the TCD652160's 320GB Segate hard drive and it did not fix the stuttering. Could it be one of the dual cable card decoders? Any ideas?

Frankly, that still sounds a bit like either a bad cable run, or a bad CableCARD.

Can you try switching the location with that of the Motorola DVR to confirm that the problems exist in the new location, and that the Motorola works fine with those channels in the old location?

It could be a drive, but, as you said, that would generally mean it affects all channels, especially HD ones.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Stuttering video

I have switched locations. Still the same. I may try swaping cable cards with the Motorola HD DVR from the cable company. I'm not sure if it's as easy as that. Will it require the cable company to re-initiallize the cards in the TiVo HD DVR? Aren't the cable card addresses kind of married to the box they're installed in?
      Last edited by [email protected]; 09-19-2008, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Yes, you will have to have the cards/TiVo reprogrammed.

Comment

What now?

I called Insight Communications about my TiVo stuttering video that appears only on 8 channels. Fortunately I know the local Technical Operations Manager and he sent his Installation Repair Supervisor to my house to trouble shoot. He saw and acknowledged the problem. He spent over two hours checking signal levels, the router, modem, terminations, etc. and couldn't find anthing abnormal. Finally they changed out both cable cards and re-authorized them. TiVo still has the stuttering video on those 8 channels. The Insight supplied Motorola DVR I have in another room works fine on the 8 channels that I'm seeing the stuttering on. Their opinion is that the problem must be in the TiVo tuners.

So....what next? I bought this TiVo from WeaKnees last December. Do I need an RMA? To whom and where do I send it for repair?

Comment

Please contact us by email to [email protected] for repair information.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X