HR10-250 and Internal Temperature too high message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR10-250 and Internal Temperature too high message

I have a DirecTv HR10-250 that is giving me a 'Internal Temperature was too high' message. It says the DVR has been shut down to avoid damage.
    I confirmed none of the vents were blocked and that the internal fan was working. I also put a room fan pointed at the unit to try to keep it as cool as possible. I have unplug the unit multiple times and each time it starts up, goes to acquire from satellite and fails with the above message.
    Is my unit fried?
    Is this fixable?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Joe

You probably need a new power supply. See:

hr10-250 overheating

Comment

I was able to fix this problem for $6 dollars by replacing two leaking capacitors on the power supply board. I am not sure if this error is only related to these capacitors but they were the 470uf 6.3V 105c. You can quickly identify a bad capacitor just google it, easy to replace.

Comment

Google?

Google the capacitor?

Is this also indicated for the HDMI pixelation and sound dropouts that suggest a power supply replacement?

Comment

Nope - those other problems are probably either a hard drive failing, or a bad HDMI card.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I just replaced the HDMI card (and fan) last month, so I went looking at the power supply. The two 470 uf caps inside the heatsink array were showing slightly buckled top plates.

I replaced them with caps from Radio Shack rated at 470 uf, 35 VDC working voltage, max temp of 85C.

The pixelation and audio dropout appears to be resolved - at least for now.

I will report back if the problems recur, but for now, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Bill
            Last edited by bkimbel; 01-06-2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X