Troubleshooting Series 2 - channels, sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting Series 2 - channels, sound

I have a Series 2 that began dialing the wrong channels with increasing frequency (when automatic recording), and now, quite suddenly, the sound it records is nothing but a loud roar of white noise. Connected the cable directly to the TV, and all was well -- so it does seem to be the Series 2. Does anyone have experience with these symptoms - is a hard drive replacemenent in order, or is it a motherboard gone bad? Thank you for any insights you can share.

P.S.

I did wipe it clean, and set up again from scratch, with the same results. It's the Tivo manufactured 2005 Series 2, and I'm just trying to figure out if it's even worth fixing. Have searched Tivo foums, messages, online, etc., and haven't yet found anyone else having this specific issue. I will call Tivo service, when the wait times for support are a bit less lengthy.

Comment

When you're in the menus, do you get the same noise? Do you get it in older shows that you had previously watched successfully?
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

noise, etc

No noise in menus, but the noise also is there when just playing live TV through the Tivo box.

The channel changing thing was getting worse and worse, it misdialed over half the time, then this noise started; I can't help but think they are somehow related to the same hardware failure.

My much-older, Motorola brand box works like a champ... it's a bummer this is happening on the Tivo-manufactured one, which is newer.

Any ideas or light you might shed would be welcome.

Comment

Do you get the noise problems in OLD recordings...recordings that were made before this problem started?

Comment

noise, etc

Sorry I didn't address that previously; but, yes. A recording that was fine prior to this problem, when played now, has the atrocious noise. By now, mind you, everything's been wiped clean and setup all over again, but that was the case.

Comment

Then this may be an interference problem. Sometimes, we've seen problems vaguely like this fixed with a new power supply, so that might be something to try. Otherwise, it's likely the motherboard, sorry to say.

Comment

Hey, Michael -- it WAS the power supply! Thanks! We bought a replacement from WeaKness, installed it, and now it's fine again. Good call!

Comment

PS: It not only fixed the sound problem, it fixed the channel-changing problem. Sweet, and thanks again!

Comment

Great - two in one is the best!

Comment

Working...
                    X