Choppy Video and sound on Tivo Series 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choppy Video and sound on Tivo Series 2

I have a Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner. The original 80GB drive in it went bad and I replaced it with a Maxtor 200GB. I used DVRUpgrades Instant Cake software to make this a new Tivo Drive. Since installing the new drive I periodically get intermittant choppy video and sound. Sometimes it happens on Live TV but it always happens on Recordings. the Instant Cake support group swears it's not a problem with their software and that the drive must be bad. I have ran a complete dignostics check on this drive and another Maxtor 200GB drive that I also turned into a Tivo Drive when this one was acting up. They both pass all diagnostics without problems and both drives experience the same symptoms. I would appreciate any ideas anyone has on what else I can check.

Thanks
    Kalor

We have no experience at all with that product, but perhaps whatever took out your 80gb drive also damaged some other component on the motherboard?

Comment

Tuner or Motherboard

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      We have no experience at all with that product, but perhaps whatever took out your 80gb drive also damaged some other component on the motherboard?
      The 80GB drive was a Western Digital that was the main problem with it. I've been reading some of the other posts and the Chopiness is always is always in the same place on recorded videos which should mean that it was recorded with that choppiness. Could it be that one or both of the Tuners have gone bad? If the Tuners or Motherboard are bad is that something you sell as a replacement part?

Comment

We don't have those parts for sale individually.

This still sounds like a hard drive problem. Was that Maxtor drive new? Have you tested it?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes both of the Maxtor Drives were new and I did full diagnostic tests on both before making them into Tivo Drives. Both Drives Passed without issue.

Comment

So it may be a bad tuner (all of this is pointing that way) but did you just install the drives, or have they been in there for a period of time?

Comment

The first drive was installed A week ago this past Sunday and was acting this way to start. The second drive was installed Monday and is also acting this way. The original Western Digital was replaced because the Video would freeze and the Tivo would reboot. That drive tested bad afterwards BTW.

Comment

Well, it's possible that the unit is damaging the drives, but in any event, the problems do sound like they're related to motherboard defects. Sounds like you really need a new unit.

Comment

Does WeakNees have a repair service?

Comment

Yes, but that's not something we'd be able to repair.

Comment

I see that you seel new units. Do you sell Refurbished units as well?

Comment

Not of the Dual Tuner model.

Comment

Working...
                        X