Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Tivo Series 2

Hello,

I have a Toshiba SD-400 Series 2 Tivo Unit.

For some reason I get the following message when trying to view live tv:

"searching for signal on basic cable in"

I have tried resetting the media center and tivo etc. I unplugged the unit for about 30 seconds too.

I have not changed any cables or anything at all.

I have only the cable coming from the wall and no cable box. I have no DVD's or other things hooked up except the tv to the tivo.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?
    Last edited by hoops; 10-14-2008, 11:14 AM.

Have you tried putting the cable right into your TV to verify that the cable signal is working properly.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      Have you tried putting the cable right into your TV to verify that the cable signal is working properly.
      Yes and it works fine.

Do you think that it has anything to do with digital tv?

Comment

Could your TV read a digital signal if that were what was coming in?

Most TVs can't read a digital cable signal.

Comment

Could your TV read a digital signal if that were what was coming in?

Most TVs can't read a digital cable signal.
          I think so, it's a new TV.

Comment

You might want to contact your cable company to see how they are sending basic cable down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
              You might want to contact your cable company to see how they are sending basic cable down the line.
              Hello,

I contact them already and they said that it's digital and has been for several months now.

There was an eletrical outage in our area about 1 week ago. I'm wondering if that fried my tuner.

If so, then how hard is to find a new one and throw it in?

Comment

If it's digital, then the SD-H400 can't read it at all. It's not a question of a fried tuner, it's just not compatible.

Maybe they've been sending digital for months, but they didn't turn off the analog until recently? Both can co-exist on the same wire.

Comment

If it's digital, then the SD-H400 can't read it at all. It's not a question of a fried tuner, it's just not compatible.

Maybe they've been sending digital for months, but they didn't turn off the analog until recently? Both can co-exist on the same wire.
                  Ok then I have a few more questions.

1. Would it be to much to find a technical person in the cable company and ask him to turn back on Analog? I called cable today and they said that nothing has changed on their end.

2. If they will not do it, will a digial cable box work my my SD-400? Meaning will it pass the digital signal and let me record stuff on Tivo?

3. Am I out of options and my Tivo will never work again?

4. Would a digital convertor box work?
                  Last edited by hoops; 10-16-2008, 08:15 PM.

Comment

1. Sorry to be blunt, but no chance.
                    2. Yes, a digital cable box will likely work.
                    3. See #2.
                    4. No; a converter box is for off-air stations, not cable stations.

Comment

Similar problems for me. MyToshiba SD400 shows the
                      "searching for signal on basic cable in" message. I also have a Series 2 TiVO on same cable which has channels 2-98. My new HD TiVO has 2-999. Installed a Weaknees drive in the Toshiba Nov 2007. Worked OK till past month.

Other problem is the Toshiba remote is iffy. Sometimes works OK, sometimes not at all. Needs a pause between commands.

Appreciate any suggestions/comments.
                      Last edited by kiricenkov; 11-04-2008, 11:47 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                      X