Willing to Sell My Soul to Fix Phillips DSR708

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willing to Sell My Soul to Fix Phillips DSR708

I've learned through trial and error, countless phone calls to Directv and Tivo, and the 4 DVR's sitting in front of me (waiting to be returned) that the only way to keep the functionality of my Phillips DSR708 is either to repair it or buy a used one. HELP!!!

Here's the trouble: pixellation on various channels, occasional picture freezing, need to repower system.

The Directv repair guy told us it was the graphics card? Not sure I agree, he just wanted to swap out the box.

Here's the question: Can I repair this at home? I have a computer geek friend that could possibly switch out hard drive. I would prefer to just purchase a replacement. I understand that it will probably have to be refurbished. Are there any reputable sellers around?

Thanks!

You likely have a bad hard drive, but possibly it's a bad tuner (or both).

See this info for help on a diagnosis:

http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/2008/04/d...rive-or-tuner/
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Weaknees writes that all of the Upgraded Refurbished DTV Tivo units are "functionally identical". Does this mean that although the box looks different it will operate exactly the same whether its a Samsung or Phillips? Also will my access card transfer from Phillips to Samsung or only from Phillips to Phillips. Finally does it matter if I go from DSR708 to DSR704 if the unit has an upgraded capacity? I'm assuming the only difference between the two is the capacity. Thanks again.

Comment

Yes, they all function the same - same menus, same remote. Really, the difference is the faceplate.

But generally DirecTV won't allow you to move an access card from one unit to another, even if they're the same model.

Also, the DSR708 and DSR704 are identical except for the capacity, so a drive formatted for one will work in another.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X