Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo stopped working - no lights

Hello,
    I have a Tivo Series 2 (240080) that was a single drive unit. Recently, I added a TwinBreeze upgrade kit that I had bought many years ago but never used. It does NOT have the PowerTripp. I upgraded it with a Seagagte DB35 drive that I bought from Weaknees, and used the old Maxtor QuickView hard drive that came with the unit as the second hard drive.
    Also, during shipping a couple of years ago, the power printed circuit board broke, and was replaced (by someone else) with another one (I don't have any info about this board).
    So everything was working OK for a couple of weeks and then one day I hear a hard-drive doing a "click, click, click"
    I opened the Tivo to see which hard drive was clicking, and low and behold the problem wouldn't repeat and all was working fine.
    So I hook it back up and it works fine for 15 minutes, but then it reboots, and then the screen goes black with none of the Tivo lights on the front of the Tivo lit (red or green). The Tivo is on (the fans are running) but nothing is going and the screen is black. I can unplug the tivo and it will boot up fine for a while, then go through this process of rebooting (sometime several times) and finally end with a black screen and no red or green lights.

Where should I go from here? I can remove my 2nd hard drive, but if it is an issue of a bad power supply board, then we won't know that for sure.

If it looks like a bad power supply board, I don'd mind jumping right into buying that.

any ideas, clues?
    Brad

That really does sound like just a bad power supply - in any event, it's the most likely part, so it's the place to start. We have replacements here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X