Freeze and reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze and reset

TiVo HD with WK drive upgrade, frequently freezes while replaying video then resets (reboots). Very annoying. Often (not always) I am unable to replay the show as it will fail again in the same spot.

Am I finding a "bad sector" on the drive?

Possibly. Did you buy the upgrade drive separately? If so, have you tried putting the old drive back in to see if the problem persists?

Comment

I purchased the upgrade drive separately from WK. I installed it. I still have the original drive. Is swapping out the best tool for checking the disk? Is there a utility to scan the drive?

Comment

That's one way. Also see:

Is my TiVo Hard Drive Bad?

Comment

Hi Jeff, sorry for the lag time.

I did replace my original drive shipped with the unit. I am not experiencing any problems now.

Looks like the drive is bad. I have my weaknees box for shipping. Is there a test to see what went wrong? Do these things only last a year?

Comment

I do not know who you are, but since you are now asking for me questions that require me to look at your record in our database, I'd suggest you email us directly using the contact form.

I would also strongly recommend a UPS:

Protect your TiVo Hard Drive

Comment

Thanks Jeff

I will complete the contact form.

I agree with the power protection. I have a Monster line conditioning surge protecting thingy installed between the power company and TiVo. I have quite literally been burned before this event.

Comment

Just remember that surge protectors typically have no way to step up the power in the event of a power drop...they don't have a battery, typically.

Comment

Typically no, no battery in these units. However, this one has a large capacitor that "rides out" short drops. and actually cuts power to a selected bank of outlet when it can't ride it out. not great, but better than variably wattage!

The WD that shipped with the unit is performing superbly. I just wish I had the extra space the Seagate provided. Not so much that I want to deal with the resets, though.

Contacted support/ sales or however answers the email form. I am out of luck on this drive being replaced. They indicated I should have purchased the extended warranty.

Do you think the tools mentioned in the cross post above would allow me to mark bad blocks and use the drive at a slightly smaller capacity? Or does the Tivo file system not work that way?

Comment

I want to properly advise my family and friend on buying a drive upgrade.

Does weaknees recommend the extended warranty and UPS for all drive purchases?

At today's rate's a 300gb drive + UPS for 2 years of service is $220. Can the warranty be extended after the initial 2 years or is a new drive purchase required at that time?

Comment

We do recommend a UPS, absolutely.

We do not recommend repairing a bad drive, as this tends not to last long or do anything meaningful in a TIVO...in our experience.

As for the warranty, that is definitely a personal call. Our warranty, unlike some other extended warranties, pays for itself many times over with a single failure within the warranty period. At the same time, many believe that if a drive is going to fail, it will do so within the first 6 months.

Comment

Working...
                      X