Series 2 Stuck on Powering Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 2 Stuck on Powering Up

In 7/08 I put in an Add Kit into a 2005 TCD5400 stand-alone Tivo: it worked well till yesterday. It now is frozen with a screen saying "powering-up". Am I correct in assuming this is a original ("A")hard drive problem rather than the Add ("B")hard drive? Unplugging for 1 minute made no difference.
    Also: ever since the the second drive was added, when the sound is turned way down, there is a periodic (~every 2-3 seconds) static noise. It does not get louder with a change in the volume. Any thoughts on this new sound?

You can try to disconnect the second drive and the fan, and run only with the factory drive...and see what happens.

Comment

So I disconnected the "B" drive & fan but still the same error: frozen on "powering up" with the white and green lights on. The funny scratching noise persists as well. Anything else I could try? Looks to me like its a problem for the factory... BZ

Comment

That's pretty conclusive, then, that it's the A drive. Get one new, larger, A drive, and don't reuse either existing drive.

TiVo Drives for TCD540 series
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

So I got TIVO to send me a replacement [Series 2 (40Gb)] and it worked just fine. But when I re-install the ADD (Seagate 320 Gb "B") drive Tivo does not recognize it. It still states I have 40Gb. After redoing the installation twice, changing cables and making sure the B powers-up, I went back to your post: what did you mean "...don't reuse either existing drive"? Has my B drive changed somehow? What might I be doing differently during installation? It worked perfectly after the initial install.

Comment

Right - the B has to be reformatted to work with the new unit. We have that service here:

http://www.weaknees.com/misc.php

Comment

Thanks for your prompt reply. Why would the TIVO "A" drive going bad have any effect on the format of the "B" ADD drive? I've had a HD failure on my computer's C: that no effect on the slave E:. After spending $149 on it just 6months ago, putting another $55 + S&H seems excessive. Can I reformat it? Or, can you give me a break on the servicing since its your drive that I bought?

Comment

Your comparison to a PC is not applicable. When you add a drive to a TiVo, the two drives become one big drive. Special partitions are written to the secondary drive and it marries to the A drive. You cannot simply replace drive and expect the secondary drive to continue working without doing more.

Comment

OK, I'm not surprised that it is completely different from my computer; but the new "A" is essentially the same as the old "A" drive that had to be replaced. When I bought the Weaknees "B" drive you did its formatting without having access to my "A" drive then. What has changed on this "A" from the old "A" such that it won't recognize the "B"?
                  Sadly, money very tight right now. I'm trying to justify spending another $55 + S&H after spending $150+ about 7 months ago. Could you give me a break on the servicing since its your drive that I bought? If not, what are my warranty options?

Comment

Your drives are NOT essentially the same. One was 40gb, the other was larger. Furthermore, once you have added a drive once, you cannot re-add it again. It has to be reprogrammed. I promise, despite your skepticism, I am not lying to you.

Comment

I never even suggested you were lying. Your replies have been very professional; and I appreciate that!
                      OK, I think you have told me that 1) my 320Gb Seagate drive that I bought from WeaKnees 7 months ago for $150 [and Added as the "B" drive] has been corrupted somehow by the standard 40 Gb TIVO drive [the "A" drive] going bad and 2) even though the 320 worked perfectly with the initial "A", it won't work with the replacement "A" that TIVO sent me until Weaknees reprograms the 320Gb. Although you have not explained how 1) could happen, you have convinced me that I need to send you the drive for it to work again.

Two questions and I'll try not to bother you again:
                      1. Could you give me a break on the servicing since its your drive that I bought?
                      2. If I can't afford to service it can I put the 320Gb in my computer and reformat for use there?
                      Thank you for your time.

Comment

It's not that it was "corrupted" at all; it's just that the way the formatting works, we put partition hooks on it for use by the A drive. Once they're used by one A drive, it needs new hooks to attach to a different A drive.

1 - Email us with your order information and we'll see what we can do: [email protected].

2 - Sure, it'll work in most computers.

Comment

Working...
                        X