Tivo HD Boot Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo HD Boot Problem

Greetings, I'm looking for some assistance regarding my inop THD.

A little background:
    Purchased new THD 8/08. Installation of 2 SS Motorola CC's (Comcast) worked on first try. Started to notice problems in December. More-than-usual pixellation and random reboots. Finally entered the endless reboot loop (welcome, followed by just a few minutes more....). I decided to purchase a replacement HD based on what I'd read on the internet.
    Ended up purchasing a new HD from another company (sorry) and the replacement (Seagate DB35.3 320G) worked fine for about a month after install. One day, I pressed the TIVO button and the unit rebooted and then started the endless boot loop again. I removed the HD and ran SeaTools and discovered that the HD was ridden with bad sectors. RMA'd the HD.
    In the meantime, I borrowed a backup OEM WD 160G from a buddy (my wife mistakenly threw mine out!) with a known good image. I attempted to use this drive in my TIVO until my replacement Seagate arrived but the THD would not boot past the Welcome. Powering Up screen.
    When my replacement Seagate arrived today, much to my chagrin, the THD is still hanging on the Welcome..Powering Up screen.
    It stays on that screen for appr 80 seconds, then the green LED cycles, followed by the amber and red LED illuminating momentarily(strangely, I cannot initiate any Kickstart modes during this process). After that, the video output cycles and the THD returns to the Welcome..Powering Up screen and the process repeats itself......over and over and over..... Never reaches the "Just a few minutes more" screen.

Some other troubleshooting:

The HD spins when the THD is plugged in. Sounds like it is seeking.

I reran the Seatools long generic test on the new drive and it passed.

I booted using a separate power source for the HD and a different SATA cable from the HD to the MB with same results.

I checked the DC voltages with MM.
    Red - appr 5.1VDC
    Yellow - fluctuating (strange) between 6.5-7.3VDC. It's 11.9VDC with the PS and HD connected.
    Orange - 3.25
    Power supply makes continuous (3-4Hz) clicking sound when plug is not connected to motherboard. As soon as it's plugged in, the clicking ceases.

I booted the TIVO with no HD and the Welcome. Powering Up screen appears momentarily followed by grey screen.

My questions:
    In your experience, does the above sound like PS or MB?
    If I purchase a PS from you and it does not solve my problem, can I return?
    If it's the MB, is the unit salvageable?

Thanks in advance for the help. If you think it could be the PS I'll plan on ordering one from weaKnees.

The problem is, the drive hasn't been formatted at all. Without the right TiVo OS on it, the drive won't boot the TiVo.

We can format your drive for your unit here.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks Michael. I'm on the road and will look into ordering the repair # early next week.
      For amplification, the RMA'd drive appeared to have a Tivo partition table (verified with MFSLive). I'm probably gonna attempt to rebuild the image with Instant Cake one last time before I send the unit in. I'll post the results Sunday.
      Thanks again for the help...Maj

Comment

Working...
      X