Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad tuner on series2?

Hi.

I have a series 2 tivo with lifetime service. Because of the cost of lifetime service, I would like to repair the tivo if at all possible.

Recently, I started having a lot of pixelation, audio cut-out and stuttering/skipping of the tivo when watching TV, regardless of wether it was live tv or recorded. On recorded shows, the problem stayed the same if I replayed the recording.

I bought a replacement hard drive hoping this would solve the problem (I had been wanting to upgrade the capacity anyway), but after reading more on the weaknees website, I am afraid that it may be the tuner...

My questions are:
    1) If the tuner is the problem, is it possible to fix/replace the tuner?
    2) if so, can I buy a tuner and replace it myself, or is this a job best left to a professional?
    3) What sort of cost would I be looking at for this repair? Would it cost more than the lifetime service is worth?

Thanks

1 - Yes, we can do that on most units. Prices vary by model.

2 - We don't even sell the parts because it's a motherboard-level repair.

3 - It won't cost as much as lifetime, but for a hard number, we'd need your model number.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks. It's a Tivo Series2 540080 by the way. Can you give me a ballpark figure on the forum, or is there an e-mail address I should contact?

Comment

Email us at [email protected].

Comment

Thanks for the responses. FYI I installed the new hard drive a few days ago, and the problem seems to have disappeared. I am now hoping it was the hard drive after all. I will keep an eye on it to make sure.

BTW, the upgraded hard drive works great! My wife was nervous about me performing "surgery" on the Tivo, but she was impressed at how quickly I was able to install the new drive, and at how much extra space we now have.

Thanks!

Comment

Glad to hear it! With a properly formatted drive, it's really pretty simple in the end.

Comment

Working...
            X