Errors on hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors on hard drive

I have TIVO series 2 TCD230040 originally 40hr unit.

12/3/2004 I upgraded to dual 160 GB replacement kit for 230040 with advanced cooling pak ($308).

In 2007 I began getting lock ups and limped along with forced reboots (would do well until TIVO downloaded new software and would hang up again).
    10/8/2007 I upgraded with one TiVo AT&T Comcast 230040 TiVo Upgrade Kit one 400GB hard drive Seagate DB35.2($239).

My TIVO series 2 has been making a grinding noise - thought my hard drive was going bad but now I find 1 of the 2 fans is making the noise - the one I got in 2004. It still spins but is noisy.

Today I got the green error screen cycling to the power up screen, occassionally make it to the almost there screen only to recycle. I got SeaTools for DOS from the SeaGate website, downloaded the .iso file, and used Roxio to copy the image to a CD. I set my Dell to boot from the CD. Plugged the TIVO drive into my Dell and booted to the CD. It gave me a warning that the drive on Device 0 was weird because it's UNIX but I told it to go ahead, and it ran SeaTools for DOS fine.

My drive showed up as "Device 0 is Seagate Device ST3400833ACE 5NF2PBYH".
    Then "SMART Is Supported and ENABLED" "SMART Has Been Tripped !!!" SeaGate recommends using SeaTools to diagnose SMART errors.

I ran the Short Test - got a message that the hard drive temperature had been at >70C at some time in the past (28C now) - and did I want to go ahead and check it - yes. (70 C=148 F)
    Short test failed.

So ran a Long Test and found 18 errors (18 bad sectors out of 781,422,767 (0.000002%) ). I have the option to have SeaTools repair the sectors - but this means to mark the sector as bad and assign a replacement sector. If this data is in a vital area then I assume the TIVO still won't boot from the drive.

[By the way I still have the old drives I replaced - I'm going to scan those too and see how much was bad. If the drives are failing only because of a few bad sectors than a lot of money is being wasted in replacing drives. I thought the disk drives or operating systems were supposed to be able to catch a few bad sectors and reallocate and recover.]

1. I hate to buy a replacement drive when only a tiny fraction of the sectors are bad. Is there a way to reload the operating system if it won't boot after repairing the sectors? Or do I have to send it to you and pay to have it redone?

2. Oh yeah, what to do about the temp alarm? It didn't seem that hot when I opened the box right after unplugging it -the drive was warm but not hot. There are 2 fans Twinbreeze, both spinning but bracket fan is making the noise.

You have a bad drive. Trying to "save" it is really not going to be a long-term fix, in our experience. You can try contacting Seagate to see if the drive has a warranty, but I would not recommend that you continue using the drive.

Comment

Seagate has a warranty until 2012 - wish yours was that long. Will send to them for replacement.

Comment

Working...
      X