Hughes HDVR2 tuner issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes HDVR2 tuner issue

I seem to be having a problem on tuner #2 seems to come and go. I would like to keep this Tivo based unit can this be fixed? I have a spare unit as well can I put the bad units hard drive in my other unit? It has a Weaknees twin breeze 2 drive sustem in it and I would like to use it. Is the software on the hard drive?
    The other unit has 6.2 software and I want the latest 6.4 but can't get direct tv to update it.

UPDATE: Well I have 3 of these same boxes and I brought the one down from upstairs and it messes up as well in this location, so I ran a new cable direct from the splitter in the attic and both still mess up. So I bring the temporary cable and both units upstairs and they seem to work fine. I unplugged other devices in the kitchen and turn off lights, still messes up on tuner 2 only both boxes. I also ran some temporary power from another room still doesn't work ???????

Thanks for the help
    Blair
    Last edited by BPINE; 02-15-2009, 05:44 PM.

Sounds like you might need your TiVo's satellite Tuner repaired.

Comment

Thanks for the response but how do I explain it working perfect in another part of the house. Have you ever heard of any interference problems that can cause this? If I bring a working box and put it in this location with a new pair of wires from the splitter it still does it?

Comment

Then you probably have a bad wire in the house. Sometimes an installer puts a staple through a line, which causes problems later.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Not trying to be sarcastic but you must have missed the part where I said I replaced the cable and it still does it?

Also can I take the upgraded hard drive out of this unit and put it in another, I assume the hard drive has nothing to due with the tunner correct? Would I still need to get a new card from Direct TV if I did that swap?

Thanks again
          Blair

Comment

Got it.

If they work fine elsewhere, and with temporary wiring, then what's different about the permanent wiring and the temporary wiring?

Could the permanent wiring be running near some powerful electrical assembly that causes interference in the lines?

Comment

Thanks for the help Michael.

I called Michael and the problem turned out to be the S Video input, I am not sure what happens but once I changed the input to the TV to RCA I no longer have the searching for Sat 2 problem. Maybe someone can explain why but I thought I would pass this along in case someone else has the same problem.

Blair

Comment

Right - there is some connection between S-video (and sometimes using S-video and composite together) and SAT 2 problems. We don't know what causes it, but we know what chip to replace to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                X