Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dsr704 - Now Stuck On Almost There Screen

Here is my story:
    November of last year my TIVO was stuck on the WELCOME PAGE (the first grey one.) Weak Knees and I assumed bad hard drive. Replaced/upgraded drive. Still was stuck on WELCOME PAGE (the gray one.)
    Examined Power supply, poked around. Possibly a bad resister in there. But after poking around - It booted up and new drive worked fine (about Jan 3 this year.) But then.....

Friday night we noticed the TIVO record light was on but on the TV there was NOTHING - No Video or Audio. Saturday AM we saw same thing.
    I did a hard reboot by powering off then on.

Welcome (grey screen) came up - THIS WAS WHERE I WAS STUCK LAST TIME!

Then the Direct TV Logo Came up - and said "Almost there..."

This has not gone away.

I retried Reboot again and still same thing.

Is new Drive bad? Is this symptom of anything you heard of. Most all posts say that they are stuck on Welcome Grey screen, but I get past that one....

Yesterday I opened the unit up and re-tested. Now stuck on Gray screen....

Frank

Hmm. Sounds to me like a bad power supply in the early stages of failure. Usually, the fail right away, but sometimes it's a slow degradation, with periods like this on the way to total failure.

I'd try a new power supply.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Michael,
      My buddy checked the unit out. He tested most of the Power supply and in fact the unit booted up fine when he got it. He got it to play out stuff that is on the drive. (My buddy is a TV Electrical Engineer and in fact deals with these units at the cable channel he works for....)

As a note - one thing we tend to do in TV with boards that may have intermittent errors is simply (gently) touch around them, push on them etc to find a bad solder etc.... He got the Tivo working today.

BUT! when I brought it back to its home in my console and fired it up, it had issues booting up and now got a new GREEN SCREEN OF DEATH.

I see in many posts - your suggestion is that we let it stay on this for 24hrs and see what happens.

My follow-up questions is:
      (1) What is going on with that screen. Is it an error generated from the mother board? And is it always related to issues with the Drives?
      (2) Keep in mind the drive in there is new from WK. But are the problems coming because the new drive needs more juice to run properly?

I'm not working now so - salvage is my only option.....

Any insight would be helpful.

Frank.

Comment

Working...
      X