Toshiba SD-H400 Recording Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toshiba SD-H400 Recording Problem

I am the original owner of a Toshiba SD-H400, and had been using the Free Basic TiVo service for years without any problems. Starting about a month ago, the TiVo would sometimes not record my scheduled programs. This usually occurred on Wednesday nights, but did occur other times as well. Unplugging the power cord and then plugging it in would usually correct the problem for a while. Other symptoms were (1) the "To Do List" menu item was missing from the "Find Programs" menu/screen, (2) when the "Guide" remote button was pressed, I would get a "Service Message": "Please Activate Service. Your service is not currently active...", (3) when the "Display" remote button was pressed, a "TiVo Service Unavailable" message would display, (4) in the Messages area, I would sometimes get Message #51: "A hardware problem has been detected which needs your attention...". Before symptom #4 started, I called TiVo and asked why I needed to activate service on a box with Free Basic TiVo. The person I spoke with indicated that it was a hardware problem and suggested I call Toshiba. I did a Google search, found Weaknees, and ordered a 320GB Upgrade Kit. I installed the new hard drive and I am getting pretty much the same symptoms as the with the old hard drive, except that symptom #1 is worse in that the "Find Programs" screen has no menu items at all, and re-booting the box does not correct the problem.

If you go to your System Information screen, you should be able to see the time and date of the last connection, and whether or not it was successful. What do you see there?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The last successful attempt was February 17 (the day I installed the new hard drive). The last attempt failed (which was expected since I was on the phone at the time).

I tried "Deleting the Tivo Settings" (1 hour process) yesterday and going through the whole Guided Set-up again. Everything looked good initially, but at some point today the problem started again. All the problems described above are happening, except that I have not gotten a Message #51 yet. The Find Programs screen does not have any menu items at all, so I cannot manually record and cannot see the To Do list.

Last Successful: Wednesday February 18 9:20pm
      Last Attempt: Wednesday February 18 9:20pm
      Last Status: Succeeded
      Next Scheduled: Friday February 20 6:34am

Comment

You need to try a 'clear and delete everything' rather than the choice you made (delete tivo settings).

Comment

The new hard drive that I received from WeaKnees does not have the latest software version installed on it. It is version 8.3-01-2-264, and I do not see a choice for 'clear and delete everything'. (The version on my old hard drive was 9.3.2-01-2-264, but I do not remember if that choice was available).

The choices that are available are:
          "Clear Thumb Ratings"
          "Clear Program Information & To Do List"
          "Reset TiVo Settings"

Of the three choices, the "Reset TiVo Settings" seemed to delete the most, and it does, in fact, appear to have deleted everything. But I still cannot record.

Comment

now that you have done the C&D (or "Reset TiVo settings"), what happens when you try to record? What error message do you get?

I have a feeling that you have a motherboard problem and that your drive is/was fine.

Comment

If I press the Rec button, I get the same message as I do with the Guide button (symptom #2 noted above): "Service Message" : "Please Activate Service. Your service is not currently active...".

The repeat recordings that I had set up for last night were ignored (although it did record a program that was scheduled for 3:00pm-4:00pm before the problem started happening again).

I cannot create any more manual recordings because the "Find Programs" screen is empty and does not list the choice for setting up a manual recording.

Comment

Working...
              X