Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck on powering up, likely NOT bad drive

Hi -

I've got a DSR708 (DirecTV Tivo) with an upgraded hard drive. Upon powering up from a cold start, it gets stuck on the "Welcome. Powering up..." screen. Once in about a dozen attempts it actually booted completely and worked for a few hours, but then froze and went back to the original power up problem.

I'm relatively sure the hard drive is not the culprit for two reasons: 1) the hard drive is a relatively new Seagate upgrade drive (less than a year) and 2) when I did the upgrade, I saved the original drive from the unit - which was still functional at the time of the upgrade. Swapping the original drive back into the unit doesn't make a difference - it still gets stuck on the Powering up screen.

So I suspect bad hardware elsewhere in the system - power supply or something on the motherboard.

My main question is this: given that there is a high likelihood the hard drive is still good, is there any way at all to fix/replace the hardware such that I can save the programming on my current drive? I know that a simple swap of the drive into a replacement unit won't do it because the drive and motherboard are "married" somehow, but was hoping either to repair my current DVR or find a way to download my current programming into a new machine - even if that requires a new drive, too.

IF you have a bad power supply, then that will enable you to use the current machine without losing your programming. It is probably worth a try.

Comment

Jeff -

So far, so good!

I did a swap of the power supply from another unit and it now seems to be working. Only time will tell to know if this lasts, but I'm encouraged!

It's very good to have Tivo back. The DirecTV "house brand" DVR unit we were using in the interim has such a dismal user interface.

Thanks, Jeff, for the suggestion!

Comment

Glad to hear it. In most situations, getting stuck at "Welcome. Powering up..." means a bad drive, but in a smaller percentage of units, it is just a bad power supply.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X