How to handle possible PS issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to handle possible PS issue?

Many hours browsing forums and it seems most likely my 4 year old HR10-250 needs a new power supply. I have the 5 year warranty from Associated Service Corp but the fine print makes me think it's not worth the hassle for a $70 component.

My DVR crashes at the orange black "overheating" screen. Usually it gets as far as completing downloading info from the sat; once I saw reception from an OTA dig channel for a second or two. The fan is pretty dusty after 4 years but pushing a lot of air.

Should I send WK this PS for testing or just order the new PS and return it for the restocking fee if it doesn't work?

Thanks.

IF your unit lasts longer before overheating when it is cold (left off overnight), then you might just need a new fan. If not, then you should probably try a new power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      IF your unit lasts longer before overheating when it is cold (left off overnight), then you might just need a new fan. If not, then you should probably try a new power supply.
      Thanks for the prompt reply.

I removed and replaced the fan after a thorough cleaning.. The system powered up normally and has been performing as expected for the last hour with the lid off.

Is it safe to assume that the malfunction could be attributed to the 4 year accumulation of dust on the fan blades?

Thanks again.

Comment

Possibly, but the fan works much harder with all of that dust. It is not an expensive part to replace, and I'd consider it:

TiVo Fan Replacement

Comment

Possibly, but the fan works much harder with all of that dust. It is not an expensive part to replace, and I'd consider it:

TiVo Fan Replacement
          I'll do it. Sometime during the night the system shut done with the same ". . .internal temperature too high." message.

Comment

TiVo Fan Replacement
            Installed the new fan yesterday. The system crashed again a few hours later.

What would you suggest next?

Comment

Then you need a power supply, most likely:

TiVo Power Supplies
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Installed the new power supply almost a week ago and the issue seems to be resolved. No more "overheating" and I'm not seeing the pixelation which was annoying me on some channels.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X