Strange warm boot problem after HD upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange warm boot problem after HD upgrade

I haven't found any info on this problem I'm seeing and hope someone has a suggestion:

I upgraded my Series 3 with a 1TB WD HD (WD10EACS) a few months back using the MFSLive Linux Boot CD. The unit works perfectly except that if the Tivo tries to do a software reboot, either from the menu or because of a SW upgrade, the unit will start to reboot then hang with the initial screen and all the LEDs lit plus the Tivo icon on the front panel and the fan at 100%. If I unplug, wait a few seconds, then plug it in, it boots fine. It also does this if the house power is briefly interrupted.

This means I find my Tivo frozen after every automatic SW upgrade and have to unplug and re-plug it in. I'm guessing that the new HD isn't initializing properly on a SW reset but this seems to be a very popular drive so I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.

The hard drive you chose is not reliable in a TiVo for exactly that reason. You probably will want to get a new/different drive. That is one of the reasons why we use DVR hard drives; they cause far fewer problems in TiVos.

Comment

Thanks -- I did more searching and was able to find the info on the problems with the drive I got. Wish I had seen that first!

Comment

Same issue? - different drive

I think I have this same issue, but with a recommended drive (WD10EVCS-63E0B0)

I have no problems getting the drive to boot after I copy it using WinMFS, but next update that occurs, the unit never returns.

I have run all of the kickstart tests to no avail (and no problems) and have run the WD Diag tools and found that the drive has no problems whatsoever...

Any suggestions? Any way to force teh unit back to an earlier SW version and leave it there?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Comment

No way to keep an older version of the software, sorry.

Comment

Just to wrap up my original problem -- I got a EVCS drive and it works perfect in my Series 3. I also just got a Tivo HD and put the EACS drive in it and it works correctly there so my problem is resolved.

Comment

Wondering what you think of my plans:

Since I left this morning for work after doing a hard boot (simply unplugged teh TiVo HD for ~30 seconds and plugged it back in, waited for teh Powering Up... screen and hit the road) the machine has not completed its boot - still sitting on the Almost There screen 8+ hours later...

Tried another boot - 20 minutes later, still on teh Almost There screen...

So - current plan is to allow the original drive to get updated, re-copy and re-install the TB drive...

Think it'll work?

For the record, I ran all of the KickStarts and passed them all. Also ran WDLifeguard diagnostics - not one bad sector found on this (3 weeks old) drive... That was a longer process than I had expected, but it all came out good with no warnings or repair messages...

I welcome any thoughts on this issue.

Comment

That may work, but have you tested the original drive? That drive may be the source of these problems. If it has bad sectors, the copy is just bringing bad data over to the new drive.
                Been here a long time . . .

Comment

...I should'a mentioned that...

Oops - I have tested the orig - also in perfect shape...

As I type, the download is loading, then I plan to re-copy to the TB drive and I should be in business...

I have not found anything to indicate so, but it is worth asking - is there anything in 11.0.c that stops TB drives from being used?

Comment

Nope - 11.x works with Terabyte drives just fine.
                    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The plan worked out... now we will see if I have to repeat after another update.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                      X