Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RCA DVR80 having intermittent black and white picture. PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCA DVR80 having intermittent black and white picture. PLEASE HELP!

I have a RCA DVR80 with Tivo Series 2 platform. Occasionally, I will receive a black and white picture. No problems with audio. The issue: Color will start to come back (like flicker between black/white and color. Finally, color is back and everything is normal. This issue occurs watching live TV, Tivo recorded shows, and just navigating through the DirecTV GUI. This issue occurs on any Satellite channel. I have a JVC 27" CRT TV with one video input source. My attempts to fix this issue: Replaced Access Card, replaced coax cables and RCAs for TV and receiver, replaced coax cables going to satellite dish (RG6-Series), replaced LNB, cleaned any dust present inside receiver, cleaned connector for Access Card, rebooted receiver and had successful reboots. I do not have the intermittent black and white picture using any other A/V source (DVD player, VCR, etc.). I use the S-video source on my TV for Satellite but doesn't matter if using S-video or coax because still having intermittent black and white picture. When using the "TV Input" button on my Series 2 remote to switch between coax feed and RCA feed (Channel 03 or Video displayed on TV), I still have intermittent black and white picture. Again, no problem with my TV, the audio, and cables. The culprit has to be something with the receiver. I was about to purchase a hard drive replacement from Weaknees. I would like to ask for any help relating to this issue before I order a replacement hard drive. Is the hard drive my problem? Thank you.

That issue is almost always related to a bad S-video cable somewhere in the mix, but if it's not that, it's a bad motherboard.

Since you get it on coax also, I've got to assume it's actually a bad motherboard in your case.

If you rewind a flickering show, does it flicker the same way, or does it change each time?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The flickering (black/white and going back to color) occurs during any function, even when rewinding/fast forwarding a show.

Comment

OK - but on a specific segment of a show, if you replay it, does it happen again exactly the same way? I'm trying to figure out if the color loss is recorded to the hard drive or not.

Comment

When I replay a specific segment of the show when issue starts occurring, the specific segment plays fine in color. Example, there was a time when I received black/white picture (loss color) while watching a recorded show, I rewound the show and resumed playback. Color was fine. There was another time when issue occurred, whether watching live TV, watching recorded show, or navigating through the guide. It was a matter of time for the color to come back. It doesn't matter what function or feature I'm performing when issue occurs. This issue can last from 15 seconds to a minute. Wouldn't a defective hard drive cause this issue? Thanks for your help on this.

Comment

Any additional advice on the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much and look forward to any responses on this.

Comment

Sorry - missed your last response.

That sounds like a motherboard problem to me, possibly as simple as overheating. Have you checked the temps? Do you ever get an overheating message?

Comment

Temps are normal and read "normal" in the System Information under Systems and Settings for my RCA DVR80. I do not get an overheating message.

Comment

Then, I'm sorry to say, that sounds like a motherboard problem, and not one we can fix. We do have replacement units here:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-tivo.php

Comment

Working...
                  X