Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectTV & Tivo Series 2 (?)

Folks,

I just purchased a TIVO S2 on eBay for my cable TV and it works just fine. A friend of mine has DirectTV and would like to get a TIVO for his system. I know that his feed is not HD and has had the service for several years. Will any TIVO Series 2 work with his system? Will he need a special wiring for his setup? Thanks in advance.

/AC

Series2 units are capable of controlling DirecTV receivers also, just like yours controls your cable box. So that should work fine for him.

We also sell integrated DirecTV TiVos where everything is in one unit, so channel changes are faster, you can record two shows at once, etc. But you don't get the networking features if you go that route.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

OK. Your answer and your website's info has answered the question. Thanks.

One last thing to ask. Does he need special cables to hook it up to the sat box? I figured that the A/V cables are a must. I know that I have to hook up the coax cables (like using a VCR) for my unit. So, I figured something similar has to be used for the sat box->tivo hook-up.

/AC

Comment

Coax would work, as would RCA or S-video. He'll also likely need an IR blaster for the TiVo to control the SAT box.

Comment

Toshiba Series2 Freezing/Not Powering Up

I recently subscribed to DirecTV. After wasting a week waiting for an IR cable to be delivered from TiVo, because the install guy from DirecTV had never installed their service with a TiVo, I finished setup. Only to have my TiVo freeze up approximately every 6 hours of recording/viewing time. I first noticed it would not respond to my remote after having been left in Standby when ending my viewing day. I get by the issue by removing the power source, walking away for a number of minutes, and restoring the power. (I've all audio/visual and stereo equipment plugged into an UPS unit. I power off the UPS and then power on.) After reading Support articles, I now unplug my wireless adapter and then the power chord. After 15 seconds, or more, I restore power. Wait for power up and TiVo Central screen then plug back in the network adapter. Help me fix my problem.
          Software Version 9.3.2b-01-2-140
          Upgraded Hard Drive 2 years ago
          Lifetime Service

Comment

That's almost definitely a hard drive problem. A "replace" kit for your model should fix the problem:

http://www.weaknees.com/tv60.php

Comment

Working...
            X