grey screen on series 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grey screen on series 2

Here is my story. I have a series two model number TCD140060. I put a new hard drive into it as I thought the hard drive had gone bad. I used instant cake and am very familiar with computers.

After putting in my new hard drive I went to the settings > channels and it would cause the system to reboot. I thought this was odd.

I downloaded all the info into my TiVo it needed and here is what happens. I will plug it in, it will boot normally, but after about and hour if I turn on my TV it is a grey/black screen. Then I reboot.

Last night this happened and hung on the reboot, it did reboot fine this morning however.

I doubt I have another bad hard drive, and possible the first on was not bad either, but it is sent back now so I don't know.

I don't belive it is the power supply as if it just shut down the passthough should work and I would see whatever was being broadcast on channel three at the time.

I also put in a new fan I had laying around last night and it still happened, so I do not belive it is overheating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

That's a little unusual with a new drive, but if you're certain it isn't a drive (which I would still guess it is) then your next most likely culprit is a power supply.

We have replacements here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivops.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I actually replaced the power supply with one I bought from you guys about five months ago. So I would hope it did not go bad so soon. I guess maybe Western digital sent me a bad replacement drive. But it would be odd to do the whole instant cake thing with no problems on a bad hard drive from the factory. But I guess stranger has happened.

Comment

TiVos are really much more demanding to a hard drive than just a reformatting. That's a simple write-only operation, and it's basically sequential. Using a TiVo with simultaneous reading and writing is much more strenuous. We often see hard drives that work fine on PCs but fail on TiVos.

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply. Let me ask you this, if I used the Western Digital "tester" program would it let me know if the drive was suitable for use with a tivo? Or does it just see that it is good enough for regular computer use?

Comment

Basically, just regular computer use, unless it's really bad. The WD testers we have do find plenty of drives fine that just don't work in TiVos.

Comment

Thank you very much. I leave tomarrow for two weeks, when I get back I will use another hard drive in it and see if it works.

If it is the drive I will call Western Digital. I would guess it is going to be tricky to explain to Western Digital that the replacement drive does not work for tivo use.

Comment

Yeah - they've been receptive to the idea that drives that pass their tests don't work in TiVos, at times. But we really haven't pursued the issue. Especially if it's not an AV drive, it's best to just try another.

Comment

Working...
                X