Clacking external drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clacking external drive

As if my self-divorcing drive wasn't enough: I woke up one morning to hear clacking. Needless to say, the TiVo HD had reset itself, not being able to access the external drive (that was clacking). It stayed in Powering Up mode since it couldn't receive any data from its external device; once disconnected, it proceeded to "External Device Disconnected," which meant the main unit was still functioning. But still.... Obviously, I'm sending it back to WeaKnees for repair. *sigh*

My one question: When an external drive (or an internal one for that matter) ends up clacking, is there a snowball's chance in hell that the data is recoverable? (As opposed to a divorced drive, where the index is gone. The index, as implied, is still there in the main unit, hence the persistent requesting by the main unit when connected to the clacking external drive, and its request to reconnect it when its disconnected.) In other words, does the clacking in no uncertain terms mean data loss (even a small amount of which renders the drive unusable by the main unit), or can it just mean the mechanical part of the drive is shot, and the platter(s) are still viable? (I know it would be mucho dinero, but I have to ask.) Thanks for any enlightenment. *double sigh*

[My one consolation is that it was mostly June-July shows: lots of repeats and no must-see stuff. But still, first-runs of lovable canceled shows like Samantha Who? and Eli Stone (with little chance of repeats). Maybe I can catch them on abc.com before they disappear forever. (And maybe my quota of bad luck has been used up!)]

Loud noises coming from drives don't bode well for data recovery, but if the problems are intermittent, we could potentially get a clean copy before the drive totally fails.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      Loud noises coming from drives don't bode well for data recovery, but if the problems are intermittent, we could potentially get a clean copy before the drive totally fails.
      Well, thanks for the (tenuous) hope. I can at least dream. Good luck!

Comment

OK - just make sure that we know you want that service if you haven't already told us (email to [email protected]). That isn't something we would otherwise attempt.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

OK - just make sure that we know you want that service if you haven't already told us (email to [email protected]). That isn't something we would otherwise attempt.
          Yes, the gentleman I spoke with noted the case with my permission to attempt data recovery if it's determined feasible.

Comment

Quick note: Someone mentioned that it could be a controller/board problem, and that changing the board may end up with a usable drive. I'm pessimistic--it seems far more likely a mechanical issue with the drive arm rather than the controller--but could this be attempted at least once to see if it truly might be the controller? Thanks!

Comment

We don't ever open drives and try to fix them--not our area of expertise, but there are companies out there (and we can refer you if you want) who do that kind of data recovery and mechanical repair.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
                We don't ever open drives and try to fix them--not our area of expertise, but there are companies out there (and we can refer you if you want) who do that kind of data recovery and mechanical repair.
                Right, sorry for the ambiguity. Of course you would give me my options via a third party, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X