Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOW need help! Detailed description of my tests!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW need help! Detailed description of my tests!

Hi there, I have read lots of forum issues and need help narrowing my focus!

TCD24008A 80 GB.

problem: Tivo was stuck in power up, then would reboot iteself and get stuck again. I unplugged it then plugged it back in and it had no front lights on, the fan is running and there was a blank black screen on TV with 3 or 4 small "stripes" that skip across the screen. I called Tivo and they suggest replacement of my unit with a refurb but I have to buy a new lifetime membership.

I did a search and came here. Based on other people's issues and the troubleshooting guide on WK I figured it was either a motherboard or power supply issue. I opened up my unit unplugged the power cord then blew out a tremendous amount of dust. I plugged the unit back in and again got a black screen and no front lights. Using the remote to go to Tivo central or Live TV did nothing to unstick it and no lights on front. I unplugged the IDE drive from the motherboard and the HD spun up. I think this means the power supply is OK right? 2 days later test again and unplug the IDE and the HD spins up so I immediately plug the IDE back in and then I get lights! I re-install the unit and all appears to be working, it connects to internet and to Tivo and powers up as normal. I plug in the RCA to my Comcast cable box but now the screen on the TV is fading in and out of live TV and Tivo central. I can unplug the RCA cable and Tivo appears to work fine. All my recorded programs work fine and picture is perfect. I plug back RCA and now I am fading in out with fuzzy screen. 5 minutes in to this and then I go back to black screen as originallly decribed. I am guessing the MBoard heated up and connections stopped working.

I am not very technical and read how to test the HD by plugging it in to my PC and downloading some test software. Since everything seemed fine with the recordings when I could get the Tivo to work temporarily, I assume my HD is OK and I can avoid the HD test. Am I on the right track?

So it appears to me the HD is fine and the power supply is fine but maybe there are multiple issues with the motherboard? Is my Tivo account tied to the motherboard or the unit? Can I replace just the motherboard? Replacing the power supply seems easy but it does not seem to be my issue since the HD spins up and the fan is on right?

Thank you for any feedback, suggestions and help! I am misisng my Tivo badly!
    DH

Actually, while you're right that this is likely not a drive, I'd say there's a greater chance of it being a power supply than a motherboard. It's possible that as the power supply heats up, it fails. This sounds a lot like what you've got going on. I'd recommend trying a new power supply first:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

OK I'll try that. I noticed it is not a good idea to touch the metal heat sink (or whatever that is ) while the PS is plugged in. I'll not do that again!

Comment

Sorry to jump in here, but I can't find a place on the forum to post a new thread? I have a drive that failed, a 40 gig Maxtor. I have another drive, and have down loaded the iso file, made the disk, but when it boots up, it tells me there is no network connection and it has to abort. I'm wondering what the network connection has to do with the whole process? all I want to do is load what ever software on the drive that will make it work, any ideas? If I'm out of line here, sorry, still trying to figure out the forum, and how to post. I'm not a novice at dos, and Linux seems to be similar, but can't make heads or tails of the instructions.

Comment

Working...
        X