Hard Drive Tests OK, No Boot Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Tests OK, No Boot Up

My 1-year old Series 3 (TCD652160), which sees little traffic since I mostly use my venerable Series 1, has been in "Powering up/Almost there" mode for a week. It gets to the intro video, the TV dog barks, it reboots.

Using the Kickstart codes, I ran the hard drive tests, and it passes in flying colors. See results pic at this link.

So, if the drive works, what's wrong with my Tivo? Can someone please help?

I'm sorry, let me add some detail:

The unit is plugged into a universal power supply (with battery and surge protection). I am in Califonia, where we haven't seen lightning in about a year. The box hasn't been opened, no cables touched. Nothing was touched or moved for weeks leading up to the break.

There was no noise from the hard drive prior to break or now. There were no stuttering or video problems prior. This problem started suddenly.

I have tried booting sans ethernet cable, and sans cablecard, and sans 75ohm cable. Results are pretty much the same, but instead of the welcome video, I get a flash of the cablecard setup screen, then reboot.

Thanks again.

Comment

I'm hoping that Weeknees can either fix this, or upgrade my single hard drive with a 1TB, but transfer settings.

I'm actually one of the rare people who cares more about transferring preferences than programming.

Doing a full Tivo setup, season passes, thumbs, etc is hours and hours of work. I'll gladly pay to avoid that.

Comment

IF your drive is fine and you're stuck on powering up, you've got a bad power supply or bad motherboard...unfortunately, there is no easy way to know, short of trying a new power supply.

Comment

Ouch! And I just bought a drive from you guys today!

Is this something where I should use the Tivo replacement plan ($150 I think), or something where I should send it in to Weeknees?

Comment

It's worth trying the drive, I suppose, but if it doesn't work, then the $150 option is probably worth it with your HD Tivo.

Comment

Thanks. Last night, I opened the box and added a separate SATA power unit to the drive. The assumption was that it would reduce the load on the stock PSU.

Same results, though. Crash at or near dog barking in intro video. That reduces likelihood of PSU at fault, but motherboard is still a scary prospect.

I'll pop in the 1TB drive when it gets here. I want bigger storage, anyways, so I'll keep it. But I may have to get the S3 fixed.

Does Weaknees do PSU and motherboard repairs for less than the Tivo $150 repair?

Thanks for replies.

Comment

Originally posted by moil4gold49 View Post
                Thanks. Last night, I opened the box and added a separate SATA power unit to the drive. The assumption was that it would reduce the load on the stock PSU.

Same results, though. Crash at or near dog barking in intro video. That reduces likelihood of PSU at fault, but motherboard is still a scary prospect.

I'll pop in the 1TB drive when it gets here. I want bigger storage, anyways, so I'll keep it. But I may have to get the S3 fixed.

Does Weaknees do PSU and motherboard repairs for less than the Tivo $150 repair?

Thanks for replies.
                On some models, yes, but not on the TiVo HD.

Comment

Well, good news, I think. I received your Weaknees Hard Drive quickly, and stuffed it in the S3. It seems to be holding without going through the reboot loop. Goodness.

So, does that mean I'm out of the woods, or is it possible that I still have a bad power supply or mother? I can't believe you guys brought my mother into this.

Comment

I'd say you're not out of the doghouse yet...let's give it a few days.

Comment

Still Golden

Three weeks in, everything seems to be holding up well.

And I have a sweet 1TB Tivo HD!!!

Thanks, Jeff.

Comment

Yup - the 1 TB drives are nice: huge, quiet, and cool. Glad it's working well!
                        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                        X