Series 2 stuck on powering up after replacing PS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 2 stuck on powering up after replacing PS

I had a bad power supply on my Series 2 24008A. Symptoms were no picture, fan spins, no lights, HD d/n spin but did spin if I unplug IDE cable to motherboard. Plus a bulging capacitor.

I got a replacement power supply (not from Weaknees) that was represented to work on both series 240 and 540 Series 2 Tivos. It did not look the same as the one in my unit, but I put it in anyway. On Weaknees power supply page where they sell power supplies, they show different power supplies for the 540 series and the 240 series. The 240 series PS look just like mine and has a second "L" shaped heat sink. The 540 series PS is slightly different, has fewer components and the second heat sink is straight. Somewhere else on these forums it was stated that the 240 and 540 series power supplies are interchangeable.

After I put the "wrong" power supply in, I had different symptoms. The green light on the front goes on, the HD spins (not sure if it is spinning slowly or properly), but when I connect to the TV I am now stuck on "powering up" screen.

Not much of an improvement!

My question is could this be because the power supplies are not totally compatible or do I now have a second problem like a bad hard drive or motherboard? Is it worth it to try to find the exact power supply now for the 24008A? I have a lifetime subscription but was thinking of getting a new HD Tivo so I can stream Netflix.

Those power supplies are cross-compatible.

It is strange that you'd get different results with a different power supply. You may, in fact, have a motherboard problem, but you may also have just a second bad power supply. We test them all before we ship them, but you said it wasn't from us. Can you find out if the seller tested it?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Not sure if the seller tested it, but now that it's confirmed that the PS replacement is compatible, most likely the PS is fine. Assuming the PS is OK, what's the likelihood that the "stuck on powering up" is a motherboard issue vs a hard drive? Could there be a single cause that would cause the two to fail simultaneously, like a power surge or lighning? Seems more likely that something like that would blow the PS and motherboard, not PS and HD.

Also when I opened the unit up I vacuumed a lot of dust out. I thought I was being careful not to touch any of the components with the plastic vacuum wand, but now I'm wondering if I may have created a static problem.

I am willing to try a replacement HD and send it back with restocking fee, etc. if it does not work, but hate to go to all that trouble and find out it is the motherboard.

Am I correct that if it is the motherboard there is no way to fix that while keeping lifetime subscription?

Comment

The vast, vast majority of the time a unit is stuck on "welcome, powering up" the problem is the drive.

In the case of your 24008A, we can actually fix most motherboard problems, preserving your system and your lifetime service. But I doubt this is a motherboard problem.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X