Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use my old drive as 2nd drive, keep programs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use my old drive as 2nd drive, keep programs?

I've had great success with upgrade kits from Weaknees, thank you for your service with the forums also.

Here's my "new situation":

I've got a Series 2 DirecTV Tivo (Samsung 4080R), the hard drive in this unit was fine but that hard drive (with my wife's programs recorded on it...) is going to have to be separated from the motherboard, as my motherboard has fried.

This particular unit has just a factory original 80 gig drive that has worked fine, and is fairly full with recorded programs.

At first I thought, "oh I can just buy a pretty much identical unit and stick in my hard drive, maybe deal with the DirecTV Access Card issues that come up with DirectTV", then I remembered, "there are issues re: the hard drive being matched to the serial # of the motherboard..." (The copy-protection, error #51 thing).

With a bit of research I saw where I could try the "51killer" type hacking solution, but frankly that just seems a bit beyond my technical grasp (and this TIVO isn't 'networked', I'd have to pull the drive and fiddle with hacks, I've done that a bit but I'm not proficient...).

So here is my question:

Is it possible for me to pick up another (used) Tivo system (series 2), and maybe use my "was original" drive as a piggybacked 2nd drive, and somehow have the recorded programs be visible to the new system?

I seem to remember hacks available that spoke of this, (or accomplishing it with a merge), but I don't know if anyone has done this with the secondary drive having program content to retain and the programs were recorded on a DIFFERENT machine (that would have to be my situation, as the motherboard fried).

If I could somehow use my 80 gig as a secondary drive OR if I could establish a new working rig and then after it is running be able to somehow TRANSFER programs to the new rig's primary drive, (again it's not all going into the "same original machine", dead motherboard on that one), any suggestions or options?

If I have to I'll just start from scratch and lose the programs, it would be nice if I could keep or transfer the content if it's not crazy-difficult. Much appreciated,

Frank-H

Sorry to say, in this situation, there's really no way to save the programming short of getting the motherboard in the original unit fixed.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the info -

Frank

Comment

Working...
      X