HDMI Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI Issues

Alright, I'm new here, so I made sure to scour the pages of posts before creating a new thread - I couldn't find any mention of this particular problem. A couple of days ago, lightning struck very close to our house; it took out the HDMI connections on our cable box (since replaced), our tv (HDMI board since replaced), and took out audio functions on our receiver (Unit replaced).

We think it also took out the HDMI on the TivoHD, since we could get no video or audio when connected through HDMI. So, we tried hooking up component cables to see if the whole unit was gone. We could see Tivo, but the only thing on the black screen was "HDMI connection not permitted". There was no HDMI hooked up to the unit at the time. I checked the system settings, and HDCP was not enabled - but since it was running through component, and since I couldn't even get a video signal at all on HDMI, HDCP wouldn't be there anyway, I guess.

We tried watching a stored program or two, and it would display video for less than a second, and then, "HDMI connection not permitted" showed up again. We called Tivo, and the rep said that it sounded like the unit was seeing HDMI even when no HDMI was present, and giving us the error message. So the long and short of it: Is our Tivo screwed? And if so, any suggestions as to repair/replacement of the unit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Doesn't sound good. Sounds like the HDMI is shorted.

What model TiVo is it?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      Doesn't sound good. Sounds like the HDMI is shorted.

What model TiVo is it?
      It's the TCD652160 HD Tivo. It makes sense that the HDMI is fried - it's just really weird that it's affecting the component (and composite - checked that too) inputs. The unit is seeing my wireless network - I was able to transfer recordings to another Tivo in a different part of the house with no problems.

I'm already preparing myself for a replacement, but I figured I'd run it by the gurus on this board first.

Comment

Well, with the way HDCP works, and with the way these units output video, the most straightforward design is to lock out all encrypted content if the HDMI senses a cable but doesn't get the right feedback from it.

Sorry to say, it does look like you either need a new unit or you need to pay TiVo to repair it.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X