Tivo Freezes and then Reboots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Freezes and then Reboots

I have a ten year old TCD649080 that has started to show it's age. The DVR will work fine and then freezes while I am watching live TV. It also will record only parts of shows, fails to download the schedule, and season pass won't work either. I had a wireless adapter hooked up to the machine and it connected OK most of the time. I bought an ethernet adapter and tried to get away from the wirless and USB, by using a direct connection instead. This approach made my connection to download to the Tivo almost 100% successful, but the freezing still happens. Tivo support could not help me and just suggested I "exchange" my machine or in other words buy a new one for 150 + 200 for a lifetime subscription. I'm not ready to do that yet, and can't afford it. I was reading the troubleshooting area of the the weeknees website and thought that it might be the hard drive, which I could replace for 109.
    Does anybody have any suggestions for me ? Is it definitely the hard drive ?

Well, that can't be anywhere near ten years old - that unit has only been out for about three. And it should have on-board ethernet, so you might be reporting the wrong model number.

But in any event, it really does sound like a bad hard drive, and a "replace" kit should fix it. Just be careful to order for the exact correct model number, because a drive for the unit you listed probably won't work in your unit.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

OK, I tell you why I said 10 years old

The activation date on the tivo website shows Dec 27, 2000 this information.
      TIVO DUAL TUNER 80 HR DVR TCD649080 is what I thought I had.

So it's not almost 9 years old then and maybe it's the hard drive.

Comment

The TiVo website is wrong. You may have transferred service to this unit, but no way was this one activated in 2000.

Comment

Thanks For The Help

It seems that if the TIVO connects and does it's downloading during the night hours I don't have as big a problem. It still gets stuck, but it does while I am sleeping so it's easier to take. The ethernet connection is working well, but the TIVO still likes to try and connect several times a day. It does connect successfully, but maybe it does not get the full schedule information. Maybe it's getting it a little bit at a time ? I think I'm going to have live with it as is for now though, because even spending the money for the hard drive kit is too much right now. Thanks for your help Michael.

Comment

You could try a "clear and delete guide data" to see if that fixes possible corruption in the database, but I do think your drive is failing, and it will likely only get worse.

Comment

Well, a little over a month has gone by and now things seem to be getting worse. I was able to get along until now by disconnecting the Ethernet connection for a week at a time, then reconnecting it, and doing a forced connect to the TIVO service. That kept the machine from freezing on days when it was disconnected and also let me do updates about every other week. Last night I tried to do the forced connect and all was well until the program tried to load the new program information. After about 5 minutes of preparing to load, the load died, and an "SO3" or "S03" error appeared. I tried several times to reboot the machine and connect again, but my efforts were in vain. The machine still records shows though, but more like a VCR then a DVR with the power of TIVO scheduling etc. Is this latest error another sign of a bad hard drive ? I guess I might have to shell out the money for a hard drive repair kit soon.

Comment

Yup - S03 is pretty much always a bad drive, or at least every time we've seen it, a drive has fixed it.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X