Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVO HD stuck at Welcome

Hi Folks,

Been a happy TiVO user for a very long time and done disk replacements in my original series 1, but haven't done any hacking around in there since then so I'm a little rusty.

Have a TiVO HD that is now stuck on the Welcome Powering Up screen. It started with just rebooting randomly, but it actually was bad data in certain shows as it would reboot in the same place as you watched recorded shows every time, but you could sometimes fast forward past the bad spot and keep going.

This was doubly confusing because it is happening at the same time that Comcast is having some serious issues here and I originally attributed that this this, but I'm not so sure now as the box wont boot even with the cable disconnected now.

Even attempting to download a bad show via the tivo to go software causes the device to reboot at the same point in the data stream.

And then we went downhill from there until now it wont boot past that screen even with the cable disconnected. I tried to give it a kickstart code, but it doesn't do anything. Just goes to the welcome screen and sits there.

The box does have a WD tivo extender drive attached that has been working well for over a year connected via the SATA cable. If I disconnect that and reboot then it will eventually go to the "external drive missing" screen asking me if I want to continue without it. So far I've said no I dont want to as I dont want to loose everything if I dont have to, but I"m afraid we're past that point now.

Before I pull the drives out and start running external diagnostics, does the fact that I can't even issue a kickstart code mean anything to anybody? Does the fact that it will go to the external drive missing screen without that WD extender attached mean I should concentrate on that as the likely culprit of the problem and test it first? Or just order up a nice big internal replacement and be done with it.

Any suggestions are very welcome, thank you!

I'd suggest you try the kickstart 54 procedure here:

TiVo Kickstart Codes

However, you will only be able to do this if your unit boots past powering up. If the unit hangs there with your external connected, your external might be bad.

Comment

Persistance pays off, I cleaned the external SATA cable ports and tried again and this time I was able to get it to the kick start menu. I ran the smart tests, the first menu item and both drives passed the SMART test, during the second short test the external drive now has red text for all the items that says "no start" it got to about 50% on the display before doing that and now the test seems to be hung for the internal as well. So bad external drive then? I wonder when I bought the thing and how long WD's guarantee is. I"ll be ordering it's replacement from weaknees shortly

Thank you!

Comment

Sounds like a bad external. Try removing and divorcing it, and see how your unit runs.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X