No announcement yet.

Tivo Dieing at Startup: Scrap or Save?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo Dieing at Startup: Scrap or Save?

I have a Sony Tivo Series1 SVR-2000 that does not start-up completely to the main Tivo into screen or main menu. I know that this is an older machine but it have lifetime service and so it would be great to get it up and running again.

When I plug it in I can hear the drive spin and feel the fan blowing air out the back of the unit. I can hear the drive reading data in what sounds like a normal manner.

Here is what happens when I try to start up the Tivo:

-------------

Green light comes on

First Screen:
    "Your Recorder is starting up.
    Please wait a moment.."

Second Screen:
    "Almost there.
    A few more seconds please..."

Third Screen
    "Press POWER to turn on the
    recorder."

Green light goes off and black screen appears

-----------

The whole process takes under a minute and the third screen is only up for a few seconds before the screen goes black. At this point, nothing changes.. the screen stays black. The fan seems to still be running after it is black and there was a little hard drive noise at the beginning of the black screen but I cannot hear any continued hard drive use 15sec + after black screen.

My guess is that it is either the hard drive or motherboard. The video card seems to work since it showed the screens at start-up. If this is a motherboard problem then I guess it is scrap. If it is a hard drive then maybe the is hope. I also have two Tivo Series 2 single tuner machines that I can use for parts/testing. Would it make sense to take a hard drive out of one of those and put it in the series 1?

Thank you,
    Malc

It's probably worth repairing since you have lifetime service. For more info, see:

TiVo repair service

Comment

Thanks!!

I did not see your repair service when I was on you site earlier.
      Thanks for the link.

Cheers!
      Malc

Comment

Working...
      X