Is this a harddrive problem Tivo Series 2 649

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a harddrive problem Tivo Series 2 649

I have a Tivo brand series 2 dual tuner which has been upgraded at purchase with weakness with dual hard drives totaling 1800 hours sD . The hard drives/TIvo are about 3 1/2 to 4 years old? The problems with this Tivo include when pushing the left arrow on the Tivo Remote to go from live TV to the now playing list - instead of the list of programs appearing on the now playing screen - the list reads BAD ITEM TYPE over and over, with the occassional listing of an actual program in the now playing list. If I hit the TIVO central button and enter the now playing list through this menu - then the correct list of program appears with no "BAD ITEM TYPE" listed. This has been happening for since May, and started out with mostly correct program listed and the occassional substitute of BAD ITEM TYPE', now the majority of the list is BAD ITEM TYPE when using the back arrow. In addition, in the last few weeks, the TIVO has unexpectedly restarted a few times and a few programs have frozen while in playback. In the last week, I have been getting green flickers across screen in playback.

This appears like a hard drive problem? Is it?

When I get replacement drives, If I try to copy the programs onto new replacement drives, am I transferring my problem onto the new drives? How high a risk is it? This is my workhorse DVR and I have about 1600 hours in saved shows which I'd like to salvage, if possible.

Is it more than a hard drive problem? If it is, what are the likely culprits?

Thanks for for any guidance

That's almost definitely a hard drive problem. A "replace" kit for your model should fix the problem:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php

If you transfer programs only, you shouldn't be transferring problems. Just transfer them to a computer, swap drives, and transfer back to a TiVo.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X