Toshibia SD-H400 with converter box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toshibia SD-H400 with converter box

I"m turning off my cable and going only OTA in our home, so, I have to use my converter box for the Tivo series 2. My problem is that I purchsaed 2 digital stream 9900 boxes before I saw the list of TIVO compatible converters. I see that my SD-h400's have the latest TIVO software where I can intall with Box only, but unfortunately for some darn reason TIVO has opted not to offer the Digital Stream box as a compatible unit.

So, before I go out and purchase 2 new boxes (no coupon left) I was wondering if anyone has figured out an alternate box or IR code to use with the digital stream products? I have the IR blasters and everything needed just need to get codes or an alternate ... all I need to do is change channels on the unit... that's it.

Worse case, if I have to get new boxes I am going with one with svideo... so in that case, if anyone has suggestions... I'd like to hear them I have checked for the Cm7000 but they are out of stock about everywhere and with shipping about $90.00 each if they are available.. so, if anyone has any suggestions I"d be willing to listen.

Sorry to say, we haven't had a lot of feedback on these converter boxes. You're certainly right that the Digital Stream 9900 is not supported by TiVo. For reference, here's the list (they only even mention the 9950):

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/310
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Im back.. Ok, Cable gets turned off tomorrow (charter tried to do a 30% price increase on me) so I bought a Cm7000 to hook up to my SDH400 but I want to make sure I can get it to work with the Svideo cable out of the cm7000 to the SDH400 are there any tricks I need to do to accomplish this?

I"m also going to see if one of my USB wifi Netgear sticks will work in place of using dial up..

Im in the Nashville area and there are lots of digital stations I am getting on my TV with alot of them are HD as well..

So are there any specific things I need to know on the CM7000 hook up to the Toshiba.. I do have the remote eyes for the tuner and everyting else I need I think .. .

Comment

According to TiVo's info (http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/310) you should use IR code 10092 for your CM-7000.

Just redo Guided Setup, get that code in, and you should be good to go. It'll download the channel list from TiVo and figure out what channel is where.

Comment

Thanks for that info, I am a bit at a loss, the software on my SDh400s are both 9.3.2.xx but when I run the guided set up and I do not have a selection for the antenna with box in my screen, I have cable, satellite, satellite and box and antenna.. but no "antenna with box" ... I do have the CM7000 hooked up (I have just put composite cables on for now as I read someone was having issues with svideo, so I thought that for now this would be a good start I could change latter)...

So, I guess my question is now what do I do if I am not geting antenna with box on the screen?

Comment

I think "antenna" must mean "antenna with box" since there's no other way to use an antenna with a TiVo these days, in the US.

Comment

Hey Michael. here some info.. if you go to Antenna it comes up and say a digital convrter box is installed and asks some questions.. it actually let me choose the channel master make. I hit yes and all of a sudden, I have picture..

Now the issue I'm dealing with is changing channels.. I've got the IR blasters set about 1 1/2 -2"' from the box, with one on top and one on the bottom. I"ve tried 2 of the IR cables and for some reason the box is not changing channels... I was not asked to enter the IR code anywhere just picked the box. is there an advaced set up for the remote to enter a code?

I am now very very close.. and I appreciate your help, I think if I can get these darn IR blasters to work I'll be all set ...

Any suggestions you might have for the IR, and IR code entery I'd appreciate it

Thanks in advance..

I'ts about 11 here in Tennessee so I am going to crash, I"ll check back in the morning for more instructions :-)

Dave

Comment

Michael.. well, I"m up early and I found where to do the remote code thing, it was kind of intersting, I looked at the code that as in there and it was correct but I had to change the next setting from 1 to 2 . I am able it seems to change the channel on the converter now (boy is it slow) but it changes. Im still having a bit of an issue with the remote to just change channels using the up and down the box changes to lest say from 4.1 and I want to go to 5.1 for some reason it seems like it wants to hunt or search it is still a bit weird, but I'l play around with it and see if I can figure it our a little more. Thanks so much for your help ... Now I have my second unit to work on..

By the way, from what I understand there are really no more stand alone - series 2 units on the market like these toshibia series 2 that I can see... it seems everything now has to have a subscription.. so, I guess, I made a good choice when I did .... On this unit I have upgraded the drive with one of your 320gb drives... If I get the other one up and running and everthing working the next thing will be to update the drive in that, it still has the factory drive :-)

Comment

Right - all current units require a subscription. Of course, you would get more features from your Toshiba with a subscription also.

You may have a failing IR port on the TiVo, or you may have IR interference in the room. You might try isolating the TiVo to see if you can move it back to "1" for faster performance.

Comment

well Michael, I got it all going, it is looking great with the CM7000 as the tuner and it is recording great... it changes the channel for scheduled shows.

One thing that was weird, when I first set it up, the playback of new and previously recorded shows played back in much smaller format.. I don't know what I did but I hit some button on either the TV or the Tivo but it's now great full wide screen.. So, I"m keeping my fingers crossed that this stays working for quite some time... it's got lots of recording space on this 320gb drive!

Were pretty easy, we know the few channels we watch every week and with the channels and a 3 day schedule I'm good with that... Hopefully the unit stays in good health.. I may even keep my eyes out for a couple more :-)

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
                    X