Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaky Tuner #2?

I apologize

A couple months ago, my Philips DSR704 started experiencing problems on tuner #2. The picture was pixellating every now and then (sometimes, every few seconds, other times once every few minutes).

I checked satellite signal strength and found that tuner #2 was dropping signal, then reacquiring, over and over, on several transponders on all three satellites.

Suspecting a bad cable, I swapped the inputs. But the problem stayed the same. Setting up the box for tuner #1 only (it doesn't matter which cable I use, either works) also gets rid of the problem--but then of course I can only record one show at a time.

Based on lots of online searching, I determined that the tuner was most likely failing. I ordered a "bare bones" refurb from WeaKnees, which arrived yesterday. I popped my HDD out of my box and into theirs.

To my surprise, it experienced the same issue -- which leads me to believe that it's NOT a failed tuner, but something else which is causing this problem. A WK tech recommended unplugging the S-video cable and restarting the machine to see whether this changes anything. It does seem to help some people, so I have it on my "to do" list when I get home tonight. I hate the idea of losing the s-video, but if that solves the problem, then I guess I'll deal with it.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? Any idea why an output would affect the satellite input? Can you recommend any other solutions that I might try?

My guess is that really the second box has the same problem as the first, and we didn't discover the issue here. Assuming that's the case, we can either swap it out, or, if it's already activated, we can fix the tuner.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X